YJ 31x10.5 to 33x10.5 2.5L w/4.10's?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ 31x10.5 to 33x10.5 2.5L w/4.10's??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
chrisinky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ 31x10.5 to 33x10.5 2.5L w/4.10's??

Ok so currently I'm running pretty aggressive 31's on my 1995 YJ with a four banger and stock 4.10's. I have 3.5in of total lift so i'm not concerned with fitment at all; but how moving up to 33x10.5's might affect the drivability of my YJ. Being a broke *** college student I can't take it to the trail nearly as much as I would like; and it's a little more than a street queen in my current position, since it's every bit of a daily driver. With the 31's it's not exactly fast, but I can keep up with traffic and even pass the occasional grandma or texter at the wheel. So basically what i'm asking is what kind of "on the road" power loss should I expect by the extra size of the 33x10.5? Have any of you guys upped to this size? Any regrets? Would you do anything different?

Thanks.

... Sorry for starting a new thread for this one but nothing I searched for seemed to fit exactly what I was looking for.

chrisinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
CALUfootball64
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run 32's and the power drop is noticeable. I run about 55-60 mph average on pa highways. On decent hills I drop to 45-50.

No Regrets tho because I'm never in a hurry, I plan that my jeep is slow as hell.
Don't pass many people unless its down hill
CALUfootball64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Buy an extra set of rims and run both. 31's on the street and 33's on the trail. That way you can rest assured you won't tear up your street tires offroad.
Unread 11-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I speak from experience, considerable power loss. Say goodbye to fifth gear and get ready to be passed by semi trucks. Oh and say goodbye to more money at the gas pump. And get to know the gas pump because you will be seeing it more often. If you're a broke student as you stated keep the 31's. Or as Anticanman stated get two sets and keep the 31's on the street.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
95 Lowbuck

From my experience you will notice it most on the freeway.
Fifth gear won't be used much if at all, but I didn't notice
much mpg difference after factoring in the speedo error.
No regrets, drove it about a year before I regeared.
When you start making money you should go to 4.88's.
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine ran... It took some revving the engine on hills and third gear. Fifth got better with a good tune up but had to be turning the engine pretty high to use it.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have 32x11.5's Top speed is 60 on a 5 mile straight away with the wind behind me. They are a decent size and do what I want.

I still have a good power band in first to fourth. Fifth uhm...

But I have a complete tune up on it with better wires and champions plugs. Also I only run hess gas.
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I've had my 4.10 geared 91 2.5 four banger Yj since July. I ran 235's until I did the bastard lift. I went to 33x10.50's and 5th gear was only usable on flat land, no wind. Since those tires were on beadlocks and bouncy, I broke out a set of 31's and started using them for daily driving. That is where it's most comfortable. I'm getting 18mpg but I drive like a granny.

When I want to go wheeling I'll put the 33's back on.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
chrisinky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info guys! Looks like for the time being I'm gonna stick with the 31's. No harm though, once I upgrade my rear axel I will re-gear to 4:56 or even 4:88, but that is pretty far down the road. Anyway thanks again!
Unread 11-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinky
Thanks for all the info guys! Looks like for the time being I'm gonna stick with the 31's. No harm though, once I upgrade my rear axel I will re-gear to 4:56 or even 4:88, but that is pretty far down the road. Anyway thanks again!
4.88's for the 4banger.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Aparently my 4 squirrels are on steroids, and I have the TBI with 172k miles.

Around town I keep up just fine with traffic, the honda civic next to me with the grandma driving will smoke me off of the line but my Jeep accelerates at a normal rate. I can get the speedo to read 70mph on flat freeway, and I use 5th for anything over 45mph on flat ground. Hills are hard but I can keep 40-45 up a fairly steep hill in 3rd, I could go faster but don't want to rev the crap out of my Jeep.

I am getting between 15mpg and 17mpg depending on how I drive, all city.

I do have A/T tires though not M/T
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
Aparently my 4 squirrels are on steroids, and I have the TBI with 172k miles.

Around town I keep up just fine with traffic, the honda civic next to me with the grandma driving will smoke me off of the line but my Jeep accelerates at a normal rate. I can get the speedo to read 70mph on flat freeway, and I use 5th for anything over 45mph on flat ground. Hills are hard but I can keep 40-45 up a fairly steep hill in 3rd, I could go faster but don't want to rev the crap out of my Jeep.

I am getting between 15mpg and 17mpg depending on how I drive, all city.

I do have A/T tires though not M/T
Mines not TBI but I can agree with all the above. I daily drive mine 60 miles each way every day.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Mr.ThunderMakeR
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No reason to swap to 33"s if you aren't taking it off-road. I was in the same boat as you, had to drive my jeep all through college. Except I put the budget lift on 33"s on before I went to college. If I could do it all over again I would have waited til I had the money to do a quality lift+regear all at once.

Btw, nice bumper. I'm thinking about that one sometime in the future. Got more pics?
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
chrisinky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
No reason to swap to 33"s if you aren't taking it off-road. I was in the same boat as you, had to drive my jeep all through college. Except I put the budget lift on 33"s on before I went to college. If I could do it all over again I would have waited til I had the money to do a quality lift+regear all at once.

Btw, nice bumper. I'm thinking about that one sometime in the future. Got more pics?
Thanks, I really am a fan. ARB just makes great products regardless of what it is. The bumper is beefy for sure, anyway I actually just posted some pics to this thread here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/a...mpers-1437423/
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

We ran 33's on our 4 angry squirrels.

My son couldn't see 60mph, I could push her to 70 and make 5th gear viable, but I only saw 70 going downhill. The fuel economy sucked - big time. 14mpg. Acceleration? Yeah, um, if there's a bicycle rally in town, move over cuz they're gonna pass you.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.5l , 31x10.5 , 33x10.5 , 4.10's , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.