Yj 2.5 running super rich - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj 2.5 running super rich

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yj 2.5 running super rich

My 89tbi is running super rich. I changed the cat the 02 sensor did a oil change changed my fuel pump and my gas tank (was rotting out on me) and I swapped my tranny (all syncros were shot) all this in the past 2 weeks. And now it's running super rich like it's burning my eyes and I went from about 12-14 mpg to about 5-6 which is killing my wallet. Any advise. And I found a weird 3 tubed vacuum line that I have no idea where it is suppose to go. Looks like all the lines run to the canister.

Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check your fuel pressure reg.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Does that use a return line? If so check it. Had same problem a few yrs back n found my return line pinched above my tank. No return flow = hi pressure.
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Cibus
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Exhaust Manifold Leak? Air could be sucking in and telling the 02 sensor that its running lean forcing it to dump more fuel.
Unread 08-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't thinks it's a manifold leak. I'll check tho. I noticed the bad gas Mileage after I Swaped my tranny. I'm wondering if I forgot to hook something up or if I broke a wire. I did find a conector that ran to my tranny that had 4 wires going to the conector and 4 coming out but only 2 go somewhere. The other 2 are just hanging there. And I also found a vacuum line that was hooked to anything on either side.
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Checked everywhere with starting fluid. No revs. Did find a sensor unplugged and a vacuum harness disconnected. It's running a little better but still really really rich. Any other advise.
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's still running rich and I can't figure out why. I tried a new 02 sensor. Same problem. I'm getting exhaust in my cabin when I turn in off and out from under the hood. Could and exhaust leak cause the richness
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just had that problem and my siuation was that the vacuum line to the MAT sensor had disappeared- gone, vanished! Found a piece of 1/8" vac. hose and forced it on- problem solved. I hope this helps yours. With all the lines hangin' loose you've got, I'd suggest that you buy a Chilton's Manual and start replaceing/hooking up vacuum lines.

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cibus suggested looking for an exhaust leak - the starting fluid spray is a check for an intake or vacuum leak. Toasted exhaust valves will also give you the same rich running condition, but will usually be combined with backfiring through the throttle body.

A leak in the exhaust system between the cylinder and the oxygen sensor will give you sensor readings equivalent to a lean condition - the ecu sees this and increases the fuel flow to compensate.

I would check on the fuel pressure and the vacuum connection to the regulator - no vacuum at the regulator will raise the fuel pressure by around 8 psi, giving rise to a mild rich condition if everything else is in good shape. I think you have a combination of things giving you this problem, but the fumes from the engine bay would give me cause to look at the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe connections first. If there are noticeable fumes coming from the engine bay, there should be enough of a leak that you should be able to see, and even feel where the exhaust is coming from.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The exhaust leak in front of the O2 sensor makes it think its running lean. That is bad news because the computer will start dumping fuel. Its common to 1) crack the exhaust manifold especially near the collector tubes 2) loose/break the manifold bolts especially on rear near the firewall 3) burn or break the O2 sensor wire.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well what leads me to think the manifold is it happened after I Swaped my tranny. So I'm hoping it's an easy fix
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Cibus
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its for a different engine then yours but the idea is the same.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ifold-1063245/
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. As soon as I get back from the beach I'll get on swapping it
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well today I finally finished Playing with my jeep. I went for the simple ole swap the exhaust manifold. Haha yeah right was a pretty big job. I got a new manifold an gasket. The tear down took me maybe 2 hours. Well it took me about 12 hours putting it back together. First of all who ever designed those damn manifold bolt locations needs to be shot. I had such a hard time getting all of the bolts to thread. I ended up cutting the egr tube off and making a block of plate so I could install the exhaust manifold first. Well once I did that it went a little bit smoother. Until I finished up and it would start. I couldn't figure out what I did. Turns out I so how disconnected my starter relay. Well I did all of that and replaced the 02sensor. And it's still running rich. I did have a crack In my manifold. Oh and FYI that colored engine paint. Does not hold up on the exhaust manifold. Haha figured that while it was off I might as well make it look nice.
Unread 08-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.