yj 2.5 freeze plug under bellhousing advice - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj 2.5 freeze plug under bellhousing advice

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFOX IFP Shocks for 4" Lift TJ/LJ - Special!Jeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #31
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Powertrain Superiority

By using Muncie transmissions

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
stanHetrick
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Guys,
I have a '91 YJ BUT 4.0 with Automatic Trans.
Where is the water coming from is my problem too. I'm kinda a newbe and just want to get it running (and go to Pismo Beach yet this summer
After an initial air release much like a tea pot, water has been gushing out of the back of the engine, probably out of the bell housing. Nothing else is wet. Not the heater-I connectetd heater hoses. Radiator is newish (~3 yrs) since one of my sons dinged up the front...
Q? What is different for 4.0 Automatic?
- Does the torque converter NEED to come off to replace the freeze plug(s)?
- If the drive shaft is removed, can everything slide back a few inches - then right back in???
- ie. Does the T-case really NEED to be seperated for only the freeze plug(s)
stanHetrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #33
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you're leaking water from the back of your engine, you have 3 freeze plugs back there in the 4.0. One is on the back of the head, the other 2 are behind the flywheel. You will need to pull the trans to replace them. Whether or not you decide to separate the transfer case from the back of the trans or not, it is just one helluva lot easier to deal with the trans alone. It is hard to pull the trans back far enough to get a swing on your hammer/driver to reinstall the new plugs though, so you are likely going to have to get your trans on the ground. To replace the one in the rear of the cylinder head, you can drop the back of your engine down/jack up the front of the engine so that you can access this plug and drive in a new one. There isn't enough room to pull back the trans to get a swing as the bell will hit the tunnel before you get enough clearance. Likely one of these 3 freeze plugs is to blame, just replace all 3 of them. There is another small "freeze plug" back there, but I don't think it goes into the water jacket. Someone will know and fill us all in. Or I'll find out more and edit this post.

Edit--yeah, the small plug on the back of the 4.0 is over the oil gallery/end of the camshaft. But you'll be able to see which one is leaking when you get back there, replace all of them you can get to, if one is going, the others are likely to as well soon enough. They do make Brass freeze plugs.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #34
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 3 rd freeze plus in the rear of the block is the camshaft end it doesn't go into a water jacket
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
stanHetrick
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input! Sooo... I will plan to Drop tranny instead of Lifting engine, and take off the T-case first.
This will be the project for next weekend! Then still 2 wkends left for Oceans Dunes at Pismo Beach!!
pismo-2012-017s.jpg  
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #36
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Heck yeah enjoy the dunes man! I got to drive mine on the beach in Salvo in the Outer Banks Very cool stuff. Saw some great Jeeps and trucks out on the sand too.

Here is how mine looks tonight:

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
stanHetrick
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Update!
Last night I got home with some light left (and other projects complete
A neighbor ['54 CJ project] happened by and helped with flashlight and mirror.
The HEAD freeze plug is the one leaking. Not inside the bell housing!!!
Looking for the path of least resistance-Not pulling the engine or dropping the tranny- after looking at how to get room by loosening the motor mounts and tipping everything he said 'why not cut a hole in the firewall????' -SO-
Q? Can you think of a good reason why NOT to cut a hole under the AC to get at the freeze plug?? And then make a cover for it…
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think I would pull the motor your going to have the coolant drained already pull the accessories and pluck the motor its only a 2.5
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanHetrick View Post
'why not cut a hole in the firewall????' -SO-
Q? Can you think of a good reason why NOT to cut a hole under the AC to get at the freeze plug?? And then make a cover for it…
Nothing wrong with cutting a hole thru the firewall for access to something, then covering it with a plate. However, you may find that this is more difficult than you think. The back of the head is higher up the firewall than you think, and again, it will be tough to get enough room to swing a hammer to drive in the new plug, or to remove the other one. It could be possible that you could pull the skid plate and lower the trans/t-case which will tip the back of the engine significantly downward (and also the front of the engine upward, so make sure nothing gets munched up-wires, radiator, hoses) and this may allow you to cut the hole lower on the firewall and perhaps encompass some of the top of the tunnel. Before you start to cut, do the lowering part and see if you can get a swing in there; having the under dash AC unit makes this approach significantly more difficult of course.
For me, I'd pull the trans and if I couldn't reach still with tipping, the motor would come out. It really isn't that big of a job, it just has some painful components. Generally freeze plugs start leaking because they have rusted thru from the inside out, and if one went, what is the condition of the rest of them? You didn't just get one unit from the island of misfit freezeplugs, they're all likely to wear out over a similar timespan and they're all the same age suffering from the same conditions. Get brass freeze plugs as a set, replace them all unless you perhaps relish doing the job again for another painful to reach freeze plug. Just my thoughts.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #40
stanHetrick
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quick update: All better, but I cheated
As mostly a newby, I spent all Friday under there cleaning out oily sand. Did some easy stuff like pull the starter (that I put on w/in the last 6 mths) torque cover and drive shafts.
Then I started looking at rusted parts and couldn’t really find all the bolts. So Saturday I threw on the skid plate and pulled it to a shop. Got it back yesterday. Was afraid I wouldn’t be able to get it back together. Except for being $550 lighter, all’s well.
Thanks for the help and encouragement though. I will need more shortly as I’m hoping to put in a SOA lift this winter and get on 35’s! Rubicon next yr?!
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #41
stanHetrick
1991 YJ Wrangler 

New Revised Update: 
A week ago I picked up YJ from shop. Started great, as it had since new starter & battery within 6 mths.
Drove & shifted fine, but a little cross threaded. Ie D was almost N; N was almost R; and R was close to P.
Then next day it drifted into Reverse from park (almost taking off the passenger door). A day or two later it wouldn’t start at all. No sound at all. Jumped it – still no sound at all, not just the battery.
I assumed it was a linkage adjust problem not actually being in Park which is why it was not turning over.
I towed it back to said mechanic. He replaced the Neutral kill switch but now is blaming the non-start on metal shavings in the transmission pan…
Now it is 23 yrs old, but that is not the reason not to start. I feel they screwed something up. Know it and are running from it.
Towing it home tonight. What questions should I ask him when I pick it up? I probably could/should rebuild the tranas, but that’s not the reason it won’t strart. Any thoughts are welcomed.
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
stanHetrick
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Towed it home. This cable is obviously loose. It's not really coming from the column shifter. Are there any pics around of what it is suposed to look like???
springcable3.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.