yj 2.5 freeze plug under bellhousing advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 45 Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM
rogerv
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canton
Posts: 501
Sm 465 = 6.55 first (granny)
Ax-15 = 3.83 first
The Muncie could be a lot of fun IMO.


If it's not broke- modify it, so it won't break
rogerv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 45 Old 01-05-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Bellhousing acquired!
forumrunner_20130105_153236.jpg

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #18 of 45 Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
Cool, what did that bellhousing come out of? Thinking bout doing this myself someday.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #19 of 45 Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Cool, what did that bellhousing come out of? Thinking bout doing this myself someday.
Yeah just like you said man, Chevy 2.8 V6 bellhousing for manual transmission. Mine is from a 1991 S10 Blazer. I think 1985 up through sometime in the 90s is what fits. I think the Blazer had a T5 transmission maybe. I found mine using http://www.car-part.com.

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #20 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Sent Novak a bunch of money today. They shipped my parts. Syncros and bushings for the SM465, bellhousing conversion kit for 2.5L AMC to Chevy, hydraulic line adapter, SM465 to NP231 kit, transfer case linkage kit, with Knob. Cha-Ching!

I think I can get the other parts at O'Reillys for a few hundred more. Just Empty Every Pocket!

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #21 of 45 Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Sent Novak a bunch of money today. They shipped my parts. Syncros and bushings for the SM465, bellhousing conversion kit for 2.5L AMC to Chevy, hydraulic line adapter, SM465 to NP231 kit, transfer case linkage kit, with Knob. Cha-Ching!

I think I can get the other parts at O'Reillys for a few hundred more. Just Empty Every Pocket!
Just imagine having a Rubi case with its 4-to-1 low range now... combined with the crazy low of the SM465 and still being able to DD it...

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #22 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Just imagine having a Rubi case with its 4-to-1 low range now... combined with the crazy low of the SM465 and still being able to DD it...
Hahaha yeah that would be sick! I think people behind me are going to be pissed. Already just with the 4.88 gears, 4.0 TJs with the stock gears are tailgating me because they can't idle down enough to match my speed. Which sucks for them on long steep 1st gear low-range climbs.

After driving the 2.5L for a few years, you get tired of it falling on it's face. Then you experience low gears, and you are drunk with power! You just want to go lower

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #23 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Hahaha yeah that would be sick! I think people behind me are going to be pissed. Already just with the 4.88 gears, 4.0 TJs with the stock gears are tailgating me because they can't idle down enough to match my speed. Which sucks for them on long steep 1st gear low-range climbs.

After driving the 2.5L for a few years, you get tired of it falling on it's face. Then you experience low gears, and you are drunk with power! You just want to go lower
I spent the last 6 mos dreaming of an SM420 and an Atlas 4-spd with the 5.0 gears... ran the RPM calcs and it would still be OK on the hghway, 3000 RPM's at 65... with a 540-to-1 crawl ratio.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #24 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
I spent the last 6 mos dreaming of an SM420 and an Atlas 4-spd with the 5.0 gears... ran the RPM calcs and it would still be OK on the hghway, 3000 RPM's at 65... with a 540-to-1 crawl ratio.
540:1!

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #25 of 45 Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 1,876
here ya go ldso.... http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html the drop-down boxes have every trans and gear combo imaginable... and some that aren't! (custom crawl boxes, etc).
looks like your new first gear will top out at 3300 RPM's at 10 MPH!

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline  
post #26 of 45 Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
here ya go ldso.... http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html the drop-down boxes have every trans and gear combo imaginable... and some that aren't! (custom crawl boxes, etc).
looks like your new first gear will top out at 3300 RPM's at 10 MPH!
That web page is fun, thanks man I like that at idle my speed in 1st went from 4mph to 2mph!

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #27 of 45 Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Got a box from Novak, and picked up some parts at OReilly's. 2 more parts to find before I can get the SM465 ready. I'm having trouble sourcing the YJ 2.5L pressure plate, everyone wants to sell me a kit with the clutch disc. Problem is I am already buying a different clutch disc needed for the swap. The right disc is supposed to be in at Napa in a couple days.

I could use my old pressure plate but I want to install a new one, and be done.

Getting excited about getting my Jeep back together

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #28 of 45 Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
buzziegee
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hespeler
Posts: 46
One of those plugs is the freeze plug(or core plug) where the coolant leaks.The other one is the cam plug.
The plug furthest from the crank is the freeze plug. If the cam plug isn't leaking leave it alone. The cam shaft is right behind it and if you drive it in to far you'll have a hell of a time getting it out without damaging the rear cam bearing, camshaft,and possibly the front timing cover.

Buzzie
buzziegee is offline  
post #29 of 45 Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzziegee View Post
One of those plugs is the freeze plug(or core plug) where the coolant leaks.The other one is the cam plug.
The plug furthest from the crank is the freeze plug. If the cam plug isn't leaking leave it alone. The cam shaft is right behind it and if you drive it in to far you'll have a hell of a time getting it out without damaging the rear cam bearing, camshaft,and possibly the front timing cover.

Buzzie
Wow thank you for the advice Buzzie! I will remember that when I drop the transmission. I can see how it would be hard to remove, since when you deform the middle inward it would hit the cam.

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
post #30 of 45 Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
ldso
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,023
I've been kind of down in the dumps because my Jeep doesn't go right now. Then I took inventory tonight, and am so in awe of my Novak stuff!

The quality of the machining is amazing, just beautiful work.





Syncros and transfer case shifter kit.

Rubicon Express greasable 1" lift boomerang shackles. Gonna go on the front for anti-inversion, and a little lift.


Sometimes I get tired of working on this thing, but then I get shiny new things that have been custom manufactured for my stuff, and it is so cool

1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome