YJ 2.5 Committed Suicide swaping w/ XJ 4.0 HO HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ 2.5 Committed Suicide swaping w/ XJ 4.0 HO HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
weston579

YJ 2.5 Committed Suicide swaping w/ XJ 4.0 HO HELP

I have a 90 YJ with a dead 2.5 and I picked up a 90 XJ donor w/ 4.0HO and an AX15 for cheap because it was wrecked in the front end. Im going to do the swap just happen to have a few questions. I have researched this topic for about 2 months and still have the same questions. Thanks in advanced for your input.

*Swap the XJ input (21 for 23) shaft and use my tcase because it's in line

*Can I use the motor & trans mounts from XJ because I know mine won't work

*Can I use a stock drive shaft front and rear if so out of what XJ,TJ or YJ with 4.0?

*Would it be easier to buy new gauges vs wiring my YJ s into the XJ wiring i know there different

*Can I use the trans cross member from the XJ for the ax15?

*Can I use the XJ radiator?

*I know there will be an issue with fuel pressure, what's the easiest way to get around that?

*Any other parts worth keeping axels, gears?

*Anything that I may not have thought about?

weston579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Just a heads up for you. Check the crankshaft pulley for any in/out play or pull the pan and look at the thrust bearing. On the last couple Jeep engines I saw that were in front end collisions, that bearing was blown from the impact. On one, just draining the oil had pieces coming out.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Yes you can do that, but if the other(ax15) came with a Tcase use it
*Can I use the motor & trans mounts from XJ because I know mine won't work
yes just have to move your frame mounts
*Can I use a stock drive shaft front and rear if so out of what XJ,TJ or YJ with 4.0?
has to be the same set up jeep and YJ
*Would it be easier to buy new gauges vs wiring my YJ s into the XJ wiring i know there different
Just swap your sensors to the new engine and they will work. The Tach will need to be messed with
*Can I use the trans cross member from the XJ for the ax15?
no, since the jeep wrangler needs the skid, might as well use it too. and it has slots already in it for the trans mount
Can I use the XJ radiator?
*use the wrangler one.
*I know there will be an issue with fuel pressure, what's the easiest way to get around that?
use one from a cherokee. I like to go to You pull it yard and snake one since most tanks are setting in the back, I can get a pump in a few seconds.
*Any other parts worth keeping axels, gears?

*Anything that I may not have thought about?
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
weston579

The XJ was hit on the front left corner and only damaged the finder and bumper. Not a lot of damage overall.

Yes you can do that, but if the other(ax15) came with a Tcase use it

I have read a few posts saying that the XJ Tcase is in at about a 15 degree angle and will hit the skid plate on the wrangler, thats why i was asking if anyone has run into this issue
Unread 12-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

The Tcase is not the reason it is clocked lower. Its the tail end of the transmission. Not sure if its like that with 5 speed. But automatic is that way.
So use the tcase that is already with the trans. No need tearing it apart.

Getting driveshafts cut down is pretty cheap so dont worry about that.

edit 5 speeds might be... here is a pic that I think is a 5 speed being clocked drilled. I think that is a slave cyl hole on the left side so I am ASSUMING ......EASY TO DO dont sweat that either. I linked a way to do it also.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4b/aw-4b-4.htm
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
weston579

Thanks the link was very helpful. 1 last question before I start the undertaking, should I stay with the stock gears in the YJ or gank the ones out of the XJ due to swapping trannys?
Unread 12-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weston579
Thanks the link was very helpful. 1 last question before I start the undertaking, should I stay with the stock gears in the YJ or gank the ones out of the XJ due to swapping trannys?
It depends on your needs. Your heep has 4.11 gears and the XJ 'probably' has 3.08s. If you are mostly street and not off road the 3.08 gears can save you gas but the 4.11 will give you wicked pulling potential.

If it were me I would be torn on whether to switch to 3.08s - I have some XJ axles with 3.55 gears and I sometimes think I want them instead of the 4.11s in my project jeep which will be a six cylinder. It will probably be 90% road but the 3.55 gears sound like a nice compromise.
Unread 12-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
The Tcase is not the reason it is clocked lower. Its the tail end of the transmission. Not sure if its like that with 5 speed. But automatic is that way.
So use the tcase that is already with the trans. No need tearing it apart.

Getting driveshafts cut down is pretty cheap so dont worry about that.

edit 5 speeds might be... here is a pic that I think is a 5 speed being clocked drilled. I think that is a slave cyl hole on the left side so I am ASSUMING ......EASY TO DO dont sweat that either. I linked a way to do it also.
The XJ 5-speed ax-15 are also clocked down. Easy fix though. Here is a drill template and How to video. The top video demo's the template
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.