Yet another hardtop wiring question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yet another hardtop wiring question.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
klikkid3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yet another hardtop wiring question.

Hello all, I have been searching the threads for some info on the wiring for a hardtop for my yj and there is some great info out there, but I have a question before I even move on to the steps and diagrams listed in the forum. My 91 yj came from the factory with a softop, I purchased a hardtop off of a 95 with defrost, dome light, rear wiper. Before I even start this project, does the main wiring harness for my soft top jeep even have the loose connections available for the hardtop wiring harness, rear wiper and defrost swithes? Basically is it a one size fits all type deal? I would hope so, seems a little more efficient to have every jeep roll down the assembly line with the same main harness, and add extra peices to it later on down the line. I see some loose connectors under there but I dont want to make a costly assumption.

Thanks
Phill

klikkid3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have an 89 in similar setup. Recently I added a hardtop with all the goods. I had to add everything. I got a hardtop wiring harness and the switches from an outfit in New England from a 92-95 with the defrost relay and everything. I had to do a lot of work to get everything going. Yours might have everything. If you don't have a FSM look in the search area. I think you can find one being shared fro your year.
MaddBones702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
klikkid3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did yours have the plugs for the switches behind the dash already?
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For the defroster only. I had to do the wiper from scratch. It all depends on if your year had the option for everything.
MaddBones702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikkid3 View Post
Hello all, I have been searching the threads for some info on the wiring for a hardtop for my yj and there is some great info out there, but I have a question before I even move on to the steps and diagrams listed in the forum. My 91 yj came from the factory with a softop, I purchased a hardtop off of a 95 with defrost, dome light, rear wiper. Before I even start this project, does the main wiring harness for my soft top jeep even have the loose connections available for the hardtop wiring harness, rear wiper and defrost swithes? Basically is it a one size fits all type deal? I would hope so, seems a little more efficient to have every jeep roll down the assembly line with the same main harness, and add extra peices to it later on down the line. I see some loose connectors under there but I dont want to make a costly assumption.

Thanks
Phill
If your YJ was not ordered from ther factory then the tub harness does not have any of the wiring necessary for the rear defroster to include the red timer relay sockt or the ttimer relat itself or any of the assocaited wiring. If the dash harness does not have a red plug at the dash for the rear defroster option or wiper option then they must be added also. I have posted much about this but let me get back to you tomorrow with some information to get you going.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
klikkid3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thankyou for the info. I think I might have jumped the gun a bit by buying the dual pump washer bottle and rear wiper switch. I have established a few things. My hard top is wiper and dome light only. There is not a red plug under the dash. But there are loose plugs, including one behind the blank plate where the rear wiper switch will go. I have been searching for the $100 answer, "just buy the harness, plug it in to the hardtop and the dash, connect the washer line and its ready". But there are so many different answers out there. I would appreciate the knowledge. Thank you for the help.
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thankyou for the info. I think I might have jumped the gun a bit by buying the dual pump washer bottle and rear wiper switch. I have established a few things. My hard top is wiper and dome light only. There is not a red plug under the dash. But there are loose plugs, including one behind the blank plate where the rear wiper switch will go. I have been searching for the $100 answer, "just buy the harness, plug it in to the hardtop and the dash, connect the washer line and its ready". But there are so many different answers out there. I would appreciate the knowledge. Thank you for the help.
That plug is probably for fog lights. IF your YJ was not ordered with the rear defroster option the tub harness will not have any of the necessary wiring. I am not sure if the same thing applies for the rear wiper/washer option. Does you tub harness hardtop plug have a small rubber hose possibly with a plug in it? If it does then you probably also have the wiper/washer option wiring in the tub harness already.
This is what the tub harness looks like with the rear defroster option already in it. I bought this harness off of ebay and stripped out the rear defroster circuit and melded it with my harness. Keep in mind that I did this on a '95 YJ with a '95 harness. Older YJ's may or may not be wired up in this fashion. I beleive that mid 90's XJ's have the timer relay in the PDC under the hood but all three switches, wiper&washer/defroster/foglights/ that are in the XJ dash are the same.

I might have more document information on adding the rear defsoter set up but are the 91 - 95 YJ's set up the same way from the factory? Look in your PDC under the hood. Does it have a spot for the timer relay for the rear defroster? If not then maybe the 91's got wired up like the 95's did. That red timer relay is about $40 alone that is wehy Chysler did not install even the relay socket into the tub harness along with the associated wiring. Remove that small panel that hold those three switches and look around for a seocnd or third plug one being red. They might be taped up onto the dash harness. if it is then you need the rear defroster corcuit for the tub harness. The rear wiper/washer...the wiring might be there for the wiper but not the washer. How about you post a picture of the tub hanress plug at the rear of the tub and tell us what color wires go into it.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU SINCE YOU DO NOT HAVE THE REAR DEFROSTER OPTION!

Here is how a 1995 YJ is wired up for the rear defroster, IF a '91 is wired up in the same fashion the wire colors will probably be different.

The dash harness will probably have a RED defroster socket in it for the rear def switch. It is located in the small removable panel that holds the fog light switch also. The panel can be removed and cut out to accept the rear defroster switch. The tub harness will not have the wiring unless it came from the factory with the hard top option and the rear defroster option. It may have the tubing to deliver the windshield washer fluid though. Mine did.

The RED timer relay socket and timer relay which is RED also should be located near the parking brake mechanism if not then I would suggest that you buy a harness with the wiring, strip out the needed circuitry and marry that wiring to you current tub harness, or fabricate one yourself, but it is not that easy to do as you shall see.

I bought a harness off of EBAY stripped out the wiring needed and added it to my harness. The timer relay alone is worth about $35 and it comes without the relay socket. A timer relay is used so you don't burn your Jeep up.

ALL WIRING STARTS AT THE RED RELAY SOCKET LOCATED NEAR THE PARKING BRAKE ASSEMBLY.

C303 IS THE HARDTOP PLUG AT THE REAR OF THE TUB
PLUG C306 IS THE PLUG ON THE WINDOW SIDE OF THE HARNESS.

C203 (BLACK PLUG) AND C204 (GREY PLUG) ARE THE PLUGS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE TUB HARNESS AND CONNECT TO THE DASH HARNESS.

BLK/W WIRE GOING TO PIN #1 PLUG C303

FROM PIN #1 REMOVE BLK/WHT WIRE GOING INTO PIN #1 C204 (GRAY PLUG)

FROM PIN #3 REMOVE BROWN WIRE GOING TO PIN #5 C204 (GRAY).

FROM PIN #5 REMOVE LT BLU/YEL WIRE GOING TO PIN #3 C204 (GRAY).

FROM PIN #4 REMOVE DRK BLU/WHT WIRE GOING TO PIN #1 C203 (BLACK)

GROUND CIRCUIT

FROM PIN #2 CHECK FOR BLK WIRE GOING TO A SPLICE TO GROUND NEAR PARKING BRAKE.

FROM PIN #10 AT PLUG C303 CHECK FOR A BLK WIRE GOING TO GROUND.

FROM PIN #2 AT PLUG C306 CHECK FOR A BLK WIRE IN IT IS FOR GROUND.

Unread 11-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the three switches in place on my dash,

Unread 11-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
klikkid3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys for the help. I looked around a bit and no I do not have the rear defrost red plug under the dash which is ok because I found out the hardtop doesn't have defrost capability. At the hardtop plug there is the connector for the washing fluid hose and a seven pin black plug. Under the dash I am disappointed to say there are no loose plugs, and on top of that there isn't even the prongs in the fuse block for the rear wiper. Its really looking like this is not going to be a plug and play situation.
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you guys for the help. I looked around a bit and no I do not have the rear defrost red plug under the dash which is ok because I found out the hardtop doesn't have defrost capability. At the hardtop plug there is the connector for the washing fluid hose and a seven pin black plug. Under the dash I am disappointed to say there are no loose plugs, and on top of that there isn't even the prongs in the fuse block for the rear wiper. Its really looking like this is not going to be a plug and play situation.
My first thought is why does your tub harness have the WW tube in the tub harnes (and possibly the wiring needed) but the dash harness does not have the plug for the WW switch?????

What shape are the HT harness and tub harness plugs? Do they match in shape? What pins have wires in them?

Let me see what I can dig up and I''ll get back to you.

Unread 11-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, here is what my HT and tub harness plugs look like shape-wise and what wire goes where. The color of the wiring is different in your harness.

What do your plugs look like?

The best way to find the washer/wiper plug at the dash is to remove the dash bezel to expose the tub harness in that area. I think mine was taped to the dash harness and not easy to find at first.

Unread 11-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I have some pictures of those dash plugs for you. I noticed that this wiring comes from the center of the dash behind the heater panel.
DEFROSTER PLUG:

FOG LIGHT PLUG:

WIPER/WASHER PLUG:

REAR OF THAT LITTLE PANEL:

Unread 11-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
klikkid3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those pictures will help alot as well as the info. I should have clarified that there was not any loose plugs or washer hose on the tub harness at all in the rear corner. That washer hookup and seven pin connector are coming out of the hardtop. I did not check behind the heater controls for loose plugs, you are probably right that the one plug I did find was for the factory fog lights. It is strange that there is the connector washer bottle second pump plug under the hood but no fuse holder for a rear wiper.
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You may want to go the following route: Buy a tub harness from a '94 - '95 YJ and either swap it your with your tub harness, IF possible. I think it should be compatible. The tub harness goes to the seat belt switch under the front seats and then to the rear tail lights. You need the plug that matches the plug on the HT. I think there are add on harness just for the HT also.

Here is a full tub harness on ebay for sale. It has all the wiring you'll need I beleive. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-Tail-Light-Wiring-Harness-1994-1995-Hard-Top-Trailer-/320787481968?fits=Model:Wrangler&hash=item4ab06c85 70&item=320787481968&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Acc essories&vxp=mtr

Note the two plugs at the top right of the photo. Those two plugs attach to your dash harness. I do not see the connector for the HT on that harness. I would ask him to send you pictures of the face of the gray and black plug and the HT plug. The washer hose is there.

He says it services the rear defroster but I DO NOT see the red relay socket or the red timer relay on that harness. It should be about 1' from the two plugs I previously mentioned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.