(Yet another) E Brake thread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > (Yet another) E Brake thread.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

(Yet another) E Brake thread.

Failed yearly vehicle inspection (MOT) due the POS '91 YJ foot E Brake not holding worth a damn. We all know YJ E Brakes are crap, but unfortunately the government over here needs to see some E Brake action going on!

Been searching for a solution in all the usual places but not finding anything that is different to the "it's the cable adjustment", "It's the drum adjustment" solutions.

Both the rear brakes (new shoes) are dialed in (using the star wheel) just right (hydraulic brake system is working fine on the test rollers), and the (new) cable is set right. But the E brake still isn't working. Even my inspection guy (used to be a Jeep stealership mech) couldn't see why, without taking the drums off.

Until i get this sorted i'm not going to get through inspection, so any other ideas would be appreciated.

ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The thing with brake cables is that as they age, internal friction increases, especially under load (the cable may actually appear to move ok under under light load.) The best thing I have found for cables is a product called Dri Slide, it penetrates like crazy (much more that WD40 etc), pour it in one end and it comes out the other.

It's readily available on the internet, but you might try a gun shop, apparently it's also very good at keeping mechanisms from gumming up in storage (but other gun lubes don't necessarily work for cables).

Also check motorcycle shops.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh the dreaded MOT. You have my sympathies. As an ex-pat I appreciate more than most the US version of the 'inspection'. 4 wheels, check.. horn works.. check. Yep it passes! I lost count of the number of times I took a vehicle to an MOT only for the greasy, flat cap wearing shop guy to say "its yer bushes mate, they need replacing". 300 quid later and bushes looking mysteriously undisturbed I would have the MOT. Nope not missing it at all! I'm about to tear into my rear brakes and e-brake too but it passed the inspection with an 'advisory'.
SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

All three cables are moving freely. The main one is new, the other two have been lubed up and slide with minimal resistance.

The equaliser bar is there, as is it's small spring.

The pedal doesn't go all the way down to the floor, as I have it adjusted to just over 1/2 way.
Think I may have figured what it may be. Took the drum off, pressed the parking brake, and noticed that the main brake 'arm' (that goes from the cable to the top of the rear shoe, pivots on the equaliser bar) is hitting the bearing housing, preventing full travel of the shoe(s).

I've taken the arms off, ground down the affected area to give more travel and put them back on.

Haven't had a chance to put it back on the tester yet, but my very unscientific test, standing on the breaker bar while putting the lugnuts back on, seemed encouraging. Jeep didn't move at all.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

To give an idea on what i've done, the arm was hitting the housing (marked in the red circle), so i've removed the area marked with the red arc.
p1010741a.jpg  
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Some crusty looking parts there.

Has that brake arm been welded? Doesn't look right.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Something bothers me about that: when you see an obvious interference like that, you can be sure it's not like that on all the gazillions of Jeeps out there. Something else isn't right whether it's wrong part, missing part, incorrectly assembled part ... but it has to be something.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It may (or may not) have something to do with the ARB C-CLIP eliminator kit. As I understand it it converts the D35C into a "full floater". But if the housing is larger (for the outer bearings) it might be what's interfering with the arm, which is all D35 'stock'.

And that's just surface "crud", looks worse as the picture is zoomed in.
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There was a recall on them I believe, if so just take it to a dealership and make them fix it, I'll try to confirm
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, make them, fix it http://www.automd.com/recall/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/1990_y/

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/1991...r/recalls.html

Last edited by flea1987; 03-31-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll look into it. However, not sure if I'll get much success. Although I have a US vehicle, the UK spec YJ's had a handbrake instead of a foot brake. Any legal pressure I can throw at them?
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
I'll look into it. However, not sure if I'll get much success. Although I have a US vehicle, the UK spec YJ's had a handbrake instead of a foot brake. Any legal pressure I can throw at them?

You can contact Chrysler to see if there is an outstanding recall on your vehicle.

Just go to the company website, and you can find recall contact info.
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hope that helped some, only reason I knew about it is because the PO of my jeep told me he already took it in for that recall and had it fixed, He did say they gave him a hard time, but they fixed it
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Booked in at local Stealership for the 15th. Don't think they really heard me trying to explain its a US spec parking brake that needs replacing.

Now waiting for them to actually look up the recall notice, before i get the phone call...
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
are you saying there are handbrake parts for a YJ? not to de-rail, but if so, where could I find these gems???

Goodluck with the stealership!!
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.