Yet Another Dash Swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yet Another Dash Swap

I seem to need a 'voluntarily inflicted somewhat big Jeep project' every year. A few years back was the motor swap, then a CJ tailgate made to swing like a YJ, last summer was the home made soft half top. Now, I'm taking out the old and tired YJ dash.

I'm not a fan of just swapping a CJ dash, or the crappy YJ speakers, or the crappy YJ gauges, or anything I didn't design myself it seems. After looking around for parts to 'flat dash' it myself, I ran across Dan Dillner of DoubleD Fab. Dan builds laser cut dashes built to your exact specifications, and at incredibly reasonable prices. Dan and I finished the design process and my dash is in the works.

I have ready to go, 7 Autometer gauges, 5x7" speakers, CJ-7 headlight switch, and big bright LED lights for the indicators (CkEng/HiBeam/Brake/Lturn/Rturn/4wd).

Here is 1 of the CAD work sheets from Dan that he and I designed.

Air - Speedo - Tach - Water - Oil - Fuel - Volts (A is for the On Board Air York gauge)

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 02-21-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 02-05-2010, 07:05 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to this one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 99 Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM
JPH

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like your design. Bookmarked the Double D Fab page as well.

'95 YJ 4.0L/AX-15

post #4 of 99 Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Ingle47
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Whats the turnaround time from when the design is done and when the dash will come in

Sounds like a great project cant wait till its all done

Good luck

'05 Black WK Limited 4.7 /2" Daystar Poly/ rooftop tent/ cobra 29 ltb classic/ 265-75-17 Dynapro MTs/ Procomp 7" driving lights/ Saguaro switch panel/ 1.5" ws/ SuperChip/

'99 Blue WJ 4.7 / Stock

'89 YJ 4.2 /SOA/ 35-12.50-15 Tsl/ Cobra 29 LTB Classic/ XRC8/ Tube Fenders/ Side Armor/ 8.8" rear/ 1.25 WS/
post #5 of 99 Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 PM
onlyinayj89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Seems like it will look good, I always like the look of those better than the plastic yj dashes.
post #6 of 99 Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 AM
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see it. I am in the process of doing the same. Dan should be working on mine right now, I hope. He told me his turn around time was 3-4 weeks. As soon as my dash comes in I will start a build thread on it.
post #7 of 99 Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i would love to clean up all my wiring an install a new dash

good luck man
post #8 of 99 Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Douglas S.

In for updates, this is definitely on my to-do list.

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81

post #9 of 99 Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That dash is really cool! Cant wait for more pics

M.F. Leans

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
post #10 of 99 Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Still waiting for the dash. I received the tach and speedo (had the other 5 gauges), and the 6 LED indicator lights. I wanted to work on the wiring, but had no dash for them, so I mocked up a cardboard panel. It's not pretty, but it all works. The LEDs are perfect, shown in the temporary small black plastic panel box above the steering column. Today FedEx brought my CJ style headlight switch, so I'll be adding that to the cardboard tomorrow. Once I remove the headlight switch, the speakers can be mocked in too.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

Last edited by JeeperDon; 02-21-2010 at 06:27 PM.
post #11 of 99 Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's looking great Don!

I take it that the defroster ducts (by the looks of the CAD drawing & your cardboard template) are going to be down a bit lower.

I want a flat dash as well, but what to do with the DEF ducts always bothered me.

I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #12 of 99 Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I take it that the defroster ducts (by the looks of the CAD drawing & your cardboard template) are going to be down a bit lower.
Yes, lower, but fabricator Dan tells me he has never had any complaints from those and has sold a lot of them in the northeast (he's in PA). I'm not worried. But I am anxious.

Web Admin for

post #13 of 99 Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Floppy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

After reading hundreds of replies from you telling people not to modify things because the jeep engineers made everything perfect, I am actually kind of shocked... You were the person that told me not to put headlight toggle switches in because the stock headlight switch worked for 15+ years!

Just kidding with ya. I have a custom dash from Dan also. There were a couple fitment issues because mine was different from all the rest that he has made and it wasn't his fault. Overall I am extremely happy with it and would definitely recommend him to anyone. By the way, I put toggle switches in because I was putting in the custom dash!

1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ -

2001 Mustang GT Vert (supercharged)
2004 Lincoln Aviator (daily driver)
2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle (sunroof and 1904cc motor)
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle (wolfsburg edition)
post #14 of 99 Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Yes, lower, but fabricator Dan tells me he has never had any complaints from those and has sold a lot of them in the northeast (he's in PA). I'm not worried. But I am anxious.
That's good news Don. Guys like Dan don't get great reputations by BS-ing people. I've heard good things about his dash builds, and I too am anxious to see the final product in your build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy View Post
I have a custom dash from Dan also. There were a couple fitment issues because mine was different from all the rest that he has made and it wasn't his fault. Overall I am extremely happy with it and would definitely recommend him to anyone. By the way, I put toggle switches in because I was putting in the custom dash!
Hey Ryan, we really need to meet up. I've been wanting to finally meet you in person, and I would love to see your dash in the flesh! Maybe sometime soon we can be in the same place at the same time?
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #15 of 99 Old 02-13-2010, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy View Post
After reading hundreds of replies from you telling people not to modify things because the jeep engineers made everything perfect, I am actually kind of shocked... You were the person that told me not to put headlight toggle switches in because the stock headlight switch worked for 15+ years!
My recommendations (and they are always just that, my opinion) are very situation dependent. It always comes down to why a person wants to do something. When someone explodes a D35, I'd be the first to say swap it. If their headlight switch, or vacuum disconnect quit, to me that's like a brake caliper locking up. You don't need a new brake system, just a caliper replaced.

Now, (defending myself here ), if you retired when you were too young and active, and you get bored not having a project to fill the mind, and you love to design and fabricate stuff, or you are just plain tired of how it looks, then swap away my friend.

People tend not to admit that part when they post. You would have gotten a different answer from me if you said back then, "I'm really tired of the look and feel and location of the OEM headlight system, and mine just crapped out, so I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to do something different." I'd have said go for it.

Oh, and thanks for the report on Dan's dashes. I made my decision to use him without any other opinions, good to know you liked his work.

[Now, if you are thinking of going back, I'll send you my perfectly good and not too old OEM headlight switch for shipping cost, since I just spent way too much money buying a full CJ headlight switch! ]

Web Admin for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.