Yet another 89 YJ internal external slave swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yet another 89 YJ internal external slave swap question

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
iitywybmad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yet another 89 YJ internal external slave swap question

Hi all-
New to the forum, have been lurking for a while. Great place. Spent part of today doing an internal to external swap on the clutch slave. Went pretty well, but have one question. I got the bell and the master and slave out of a 92 wrangler. The master, slave and line is complete and bled, but aside from the difference in mounting to the firewall, I also noticed the rod on the master is about an inch longer than the one on my old master. Do I have a problem here, I can I just bleed it after modding the install? If I do bleed it, I assume the bleeder is at the slave? I didn't take a real close look cause a shower was calling bigtime...

Thanks !

iitywybmad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I made a new rod for my master. Used my old rod end to fit the peddle mount because when you drill the appropriate hole in the plastic all I could see was a fail on the trail. I used the new plunger end into the master. I figured the length and welded the two together.

image-1983085075.jpg

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
iitywybmad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you had the opposite issue that I did. The rod on the new master I have out of the 92 is longer than the old. I just hate to shorten it and find that I don't have enough pedal to engage. I don't know what the difference in geometry is between the years so I guess I will just put it in as is and see how it behaves. The old one was releasing at that floor and I am afraid this one will be engaged all the time without having to depress the clutch.???

My ride is an 89. the donor was a 92.
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
iitywybmad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I figured a picture tells a thousand.....the top is the old, the bottom is the new. A deceptive angle on the pic, but the new rod is about an inch longer than the old, (maybe that's why she left?),...so what do you all think? Should I try as is and then shorten it if it doesn't work?
Thanks!
masterscluth.jpg  
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The only help I can give here is that I didnt change the length of the master cylinder rod on my 89. I did have to make the hole larger, 1/2" to be exact, for it to fit on where it connects to the clutch pedal.

Where did you get your parts from though cause the line coming out of my new master still looks like the one on top in your picture and the rod has a plastic piece at the end instead of all metal like both of yours.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
iitywybmad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got the new parts from a local guy here that was building a ride and had the 92 donor. I thought he said it was a 92 wrangler. I was there as he was pulling it. I didn't note the year, it was well into the dismantled stage....
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
iitywybmad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just pinged the guy that sold the parts...it was out of an 02
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I thought 92 was still an internal slave? I used parts from a 94/95

EDIT: Yeah Im not too sure on the 02 master. Id assume thatd be different
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

huh. I never knew the master cyl rods were different lengths!??

I have a '92 and it came with an internal slave - it blew up too many times and I swapped it with an XJ external slave & bell housing and spliced the two lines together. It never did hold a seal very good, so I ended up getting the Crown Automotive - Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder Assembly part# CRO52104113

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...pn=CRO52104113

from the sound of it, the external slave is 1994+
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post
huh. I never knew the master cyl rods were different lengths!??

I have a '92 and it came with an internal slave - it blew up too many times and I swapped it with an XJ external slave & bell housing and spliced the two lines together. It never did hold a seal very good, so I ended up getting the Crown Automotive - Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder Assembly part# CRO52104113

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...pn=CRO52104113

from the sound of it, the external slave is 1994+
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I thought 92 was still an internal slave? I used parts from a 94/95

EDIT: Yeah Im not too sure on the 02 master. Id assume thatd be different
This is correct, the new bell housing should be from a 95, 92 was still internal. Maybe all the parts he got were from an 02.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
iitywybmad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, as I noted a few posts back, the parts were out of an 02. Sorry for the confusion. The Master for the 02 will not fit anyway as it is too long and hits the booster. I pulled the external slave off what I have and ordered the braided SS line and adapters from advanced adapters. They machine the adapters in house. I could not find any other adapters, anywhere else to mate the difference or make my own line up. Thanks for the help!
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I swapped an ax 5 from an '02 into my '92 using all the clutch stuff from a 94-95 Wrangler..... bolted right together and is fine (knocks on wood)....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.