Yay or Nay - Lunchbox Locker with TJ Passenger Shaft??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yay or Nay - Lunchbox Locker with TJ Passenger Shaft???

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yay or Nay - Lunchbox Locker with TJ Passenger Shaft???

The title says it all "Yay or Nay - Lunchbox Locker with TJ Passenger Shaft???"

I'm changing transfer cases and will lose the transfer case vacuum switch (and CAD) as a consequence (maybe a benefit?). I have a Lock Right lunchbox locker in my Dana 30.

I'm interested in the one-piece TJ passenger side shaft as a solution. I'm worried that the TJ shaft may hurt the on-road manners of my Jeep because of the Lock Right. I'll basically be driving on just dry roads - very little rain and no ice or snow.

Yay or nay???

Just in case this comes up:

I don't really want to spend $150-200 on a Posi-lock system. I also don't really want to home-brew the Posi-lock.

Yes, a selectable locker would be best, but that's not my question! Also, selectable lockers aren't $250 like the lunchbox lockers - they're about $1000 more!

Unread 01-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's my setup and no issue in 2H. It will clunk once in awhile but good road manners.

Excellent off road and yes it takes a little getting used to but no issues.

Once you get lockers you will never go back the pull of the front axle is awesome.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you will not even notice it
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do it and don't look back
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have the exact same setup on mine, and I am extremely happy with it. My Jeep rides well enough at 75mph, and in 2wd it isn't noticeable. The only things to keep in mind are that turning in 4wd will be a little more difficult, and you may need to balance your front driveshaft (or use this as an excuse to get a HD one built).
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

... so much for me having my mind made up to get '95 shafts and keep the cad/posi-lock.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very occasional clunk at low speeds and very tight turns.
It was every day for about a week, then settled in to just now and again.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a spartan locker up from and tj shafts, I don't even notice it. Only clicking ull here is in the first couple hundred miles while the springs get broke in. After that mines been quiet as a mouse. No vibes or driving issues.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

7 Yays...0 Nays....I'm convinced...

I know I can use a TJ shaft, but I'll have better luck finding an XJ shaft in the junkyard. I have a 95 with the larger Ujoints that I want to keep - what year XJs would be compatible?
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Add Nother yay.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was gonna do the 95 yj shafts for the bigger joints, but not being sure the cad on mine actually works I had considered the solid tj or xj shaft. I'd also like to know what years of those have the larger joints... expecially if it isn't gonna suck as bad as I thought on the road.
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
I was gonna do the 95 yj shafts for the bigger joints, but not being sure the cad on mine actually works I had considered the solid tj or xj shaft. I'd also like to know what years of those have the larger joints... expecially if it isn't gonna suck as bad as I thought on the road.
All ABS cherokees, and 95+ cherokees have the larger u-joints.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I found this article to be pretty interesting:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...ee-axle-guide/

It sounds like 1996-2001 XJ shafts will work.

But there was this one interesting comment:
"There was a ¼-inch change in the unitbearing flange-to-flange depth that can cause interference issues between the rotor, caliper, and even the face of the knuckle. It is typically safer to just take all the parts from the donor, however we have had luck mixing and matching parts."
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #14
CreOli
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have a lock right and chromoly shafts with the cad delete....love it not even noticable except a lil noise every once and a while during a tight turn. Gets a yayyyyyy from me....
CreOli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not trying to hijack but if I put shafts from my 98 xj on a 94 yj would the yj need a different tcase? Or would I just take the vacuum line off and keep the same tcase?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.