XJ or YJ front axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ or YJ front axle?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Reply
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
soonermatt
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,407
XJ or YJ front axle?

I bought a 99 XJ front HP D30 and a ~93 YJ front HP D30 from a fellow jeepforum member last week.

I installed a 4.88 8.8 in the rear and need to get a matching front axle. I decided that I would just rebuild a different used axle so I would be able to drive the jeep (in 2wd) while rebuilding the new front.

My plan WAS to use the used YJ with the XJ shafts. I would regear it and grab an Aussie locker when they become available again.

My mechanic pointed out that the front YJ axle tubes have extra weak points due to the linkage for the CAD which I won't even be using. He said I should just redo the spring perches / shock tabs on the XJ and use that instead.

The XJ axle had antilock brakes but they weren't included.

Can I use my rotors and disc calipers from my 94 front YJ axle in that 99 XJ axle? Are there any other reasons I should or should not use the XJ axle instead?

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,935
I haven't read anything about the vac disco area of the axle being a weak point.

I've read about the C's being weak and needing reinforcement, however, that's not just a YJ thing, that's a Dana 30 in general thing.

It'd be easier to build a vac disco cover than redo all the perches on an XJ 30 and I don't think you gain anything but a cleaner looking axle tube going with the XJ axle.
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
gunshw301
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,369
I agree, lots of work for little gain. I thought about this a while back. The only reason it would have been worth it is for the high pinion, but the yj ( I think all of them) have this already. I would do it for a tj though. Little work for the high pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
soonermatt
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
I agree, lots of work for little gain. I thought about this a while back. The only reason it would have been worth it is for the high pinion, but the yj ( I think all of them) have this already. I would do it for a tj though. Little work for the high pinion.
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand the response. My XJ front HPD30 should be almost exactly the same as a TJ front axle. It has coil and track bar mounts and no leaf spring perches. Both have no CAD.

Am I missing something?
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand the response. My XJ front HPD30 should be almost exactly the same as a TJ front axle. It has coil and track bar mounts and no leaf spring perches. Both have no CAD.

Am I missing something?
The TJ is low pinion, XJ is high pinion (like the YJ)
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep
 
jeepinmichguy_'s Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Sticks, Alabama
Posts: 7,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
The TJ is low pinion, MOST XJs are high pinion (like the YJ)
Fixed.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep
 
jeepinmichguy_'s Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Sticks, Alabama
Posts: 7,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand the response. My XJ front HPD30 should be almost exactly the same as a TJ front axle. It has coil and track bar mounts and no leaf spring perches. Both have no CAD.

Am I missing something?
The point is the YJ axle can be bolted back in, the XJ need the mounts ground off and set up for leaf springs. The YJ HP30 will be fine and the CAD section is not a weak point to worry about.

You could probably sell the XJ housing to a TJ guy with no shafts for $100+ and make some money toward your locker. YJ axles are a dome a dozen.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_

Fixed.
Thanks!
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
soonermatt
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,407
DillonJM, It looks like you did the HPD30 w/4.88 and Spartan locker which is now exactly what I'm planning to do.

Did you keep your YJ shafts or upgrade to TJ/XJ? Was there any problem with the locker and that larger ring gear?
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
DillonJM, It looks like you did the HPD30 w/4.88 and Spartan locker which is now exactly what I'm planning to do.

Did you keep your YJ shafts or upgrade to TJ/XJ? Was there any problem with the locker and that larger ring gear?
I didn't have any issues on the front 30 between the ring gear/locker/crosspin. It all went together easily.

I initially ran my stock YJ shafts, worked fine on the street and for most of one wheeling trip. Then on the last obstacle of the day I grenaded the driver side u-joint. I considered some chromos, but in the end decided the extra cost wasn't worth it so I swapped in some stock TJ shafts and those have worked great so far. I spent yesterday hammering it on some rock ledges and they held up fine. That said, I'm going to carry a spare set of TJ shafts with me from now on just in case.

All in all I'm happy with the performance of the combo of gears/locker/tire size.
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,228
Keep the yj axle. If you're going to swap out an axle at all, go bigger than the HP30. Adding perches is too much work for what little gains you will get unless you're planning to go SOA, then it may pay off.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
soonermatt
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Keep the yj axle. If you're going to swap out an axle at all, go bigger than the HP30. Adding perches is too much work for what little gains you will get unless you're planning to go SOA, then it may pay off.
I'm not afraid of the work but it sounds like being able to use my extra YJ axles may be a benefit down the road if I break something.

Not that it matters, I would leave work immediately and start a SOA project if I didn't have the limitation of my garage door in the third car garage. Currently, I have to run 33's because our HOA would discourage vehicles outside and my soft top almost rubs on the garage door as I pull in.

I'll be upgrading to 35's when I can go top less. Unfortunately I'm stuck with SUA for the long term.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec
 
dillonjm's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I'm not afraid of the work but it sounds like being able to use my extra YJ axles may be a benefit down the road if I break something.

Not that it matters, I would leave work immediately and start a SOA project if I didn't have the limitation of my garage door in the third car garage. Currently, I have to run 33's because our HOA would discourage vehicles outside and my soft top almost rubs on the garage door as I pull in.

I'll be upgrading to 35's when I can go top less. Unfortunately I'm stuck with SUA for the long term.
Nothing wrong with SUA, I keep toying with going SOA and just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. My BDS springs SUA ride and flex too well for me to justify the work.
__________________
03 Rubi on 35's (Weekend Toy)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I'm not afraid of the work but it sounds like being able to use my extra YJ axles may be a benefit down the road if I break something.

Not that it matters, I would leave work immediately and start a SOA project if I didn't have the limitation of my garage door in the third car garage. Currently, I have to run 33's because our HOA would discourage vehicles outside and my soft top almost rubs on the garage door as I pull in.

I'll be upgrading to 35's when I can go top less. Unfortunately I'm stuck with SUA for the long term.
Deflate your tires when you pull the yj into the garage.

Edit: You can't use the axle shafts as spares, it's not a swap you want to do on the trail. If you went one piece and had these as an extra set of one piece that's different but the two piece and one piece are not "hot swappable" in geek terms.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.