XJ stretch front and rear pics and info - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ stretch front and rear pics and info

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
HRDCOREYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Real nice yj, work looks real good.

HRDCOREYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wheres that location you took that forklift RTI shot at? it looks a little similar to this video on youtube of a builder. only big diff is the forklift is a different color

YouTube - jeepsmorejeeps's Channel
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #18
Brads_nky_yj

Yeah I should be fine. Im running the new 37" Pitbull Rocker Radials, which when filled with air come out to about 37.3"ish.

If it gives me problems I will just rotate it up in the frame, but for now I just wanna get the swap done as soon as possible.

Im gonna be mounting my hangers like you did on yours Tomb, farther up on the bumper. Im using Ruff Stuff way back hangers all around. I wanna try to stay as low as I can.

Also, are you not running a rear traction bar? Or is one in the works?

One last thing, what length (or travel) shocks are you running? Rear ford shock towers? Asking all this because its the exact same set up Im running except I am using waggy 44s and 37s lol.
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #19
jason m
your ad here...

What are you doing for a anti wrap bar? And weld your axle tubes to the 14-bolt center chunk, trust me I know. The three factory plug welds are not up to the task.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #20
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler95 View Post
wheres that location you took that forklift RTI shot at? it looks a little similar to this video on youtube of a builder. only big diff is the forklift is a different color

YouTube - jeepsmorejeeps's Channel
I took that shot out in front of a buddies shop in Chickasha Ok.
StreetbikeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
Yeah I should be fine. Im running the new 37" Pitbull Rocker Radials, which when filled with air come out to about 37.3"ish.

If it gives me problems I will just rotate it up in the frame, but for now I just wanna get the swap done as soon as possible.

Im gonna be mounting my hangers like you did on yours Tomb, farther up on the bumper. Im using Ruff Stuff way back hangers all around. I wanna try to stay as low as I can.

Also, are you not running a rear traction bar? Or is one in the works?

One last thing, what length (or travel) shocks are you running? Rear ford shock towers? Asking all this because its the exact same set up Im running except I am using waggy 44s and 37s lol.
I have an antiwrap bar in the works, just havent finished it yet, I'm building one that will be above the pinion in the center of the housing. I built a pinion guard (may be able to see it in the pics) with a mounting flange. I'm going to build a diff cover with the same flange facing downward and then I'll cut a plate to bolt between them and mount the anti-wrap bar to that.

I am using Ford shock towers on the rear, and I actually have a set for the front so i can get rid of that goofy adapter. I'm using ES9000 procomps, I'll have to look and see which ones, I am swapping out the rears because they are actually @1" too long.
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #22
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The springs.......

I have had various combinations on the front and back and my favorites so far are........

REAR: A complete XJ spring with one extra main leaf added, 5 leaves total (clearanced the big end of the extra leaf to fit over the small end of the other, makes a military wrap, you'll have to redrill the center pin and cut off the small end of the added leaf). It is possible that I may add one more leaf to this pack in the future.

Front: A complete XJ spring with one extra main leaf, an extra second leaf (next largest) and an extra third leaf, 7 leaves total, same procedure for the main leaf as mentioned above and I just stacked the other leafs. I think I'm going to take my front back out and cut the extra leafs down some to tier the leaf pack instead of having the one stacked ontop of the other end to end.....does that make sense? More cosmetic for me than anything.

XJ leaves are super soft, so some of you may cringe at the thought of 7 leaves in the front. Don't worry they are no means harsh and they flex awesome. I do use two clamps on each spring on the first clamp hole from the center pin (there is a whole on the leaves where the factoery clamps where, helps make them stay put)

I've heard of guys wrapping XJ leaves and having all sorts of trouble from them, I'm not sure if their using an unmodified pack or not, but I've been wheeling mine for some time now with no anti-wrap bar and havent had any issues. I have bent a rear spring just to the front of my right spring perch but it was on a set of spring packs that I removed the shortest leaf from (I thought it would flex out better) but realized that it made NO difference on the flex but it did take away alot of support from the spring packs.

I did run my front springs built the same as my current rears and it was WAY too soft. They almost de-arched just from the weight of the Jeep.

I'm curious as to what combination of leaves others have used, please post up and tell us.
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
Brads_nky_yj

Last edited by Brads_nky_yj; 01-04-2010 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: double post
Brads_nky_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
Brads_nky_yj

I was wondering what guys who were running xj's in the front were doing about their spring packs. I am going to military wrap all of my springs and was planning on adding the second largest leaf into the mix for the front but I will add the third leaf (7 total like you) and if its too stiff for me I'll pull a leaf out.

A good buddy of mine is running xj's all around and added the main leaf from a S10 truck to military wrap the xj spring.
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

StreetbikeDepot...nice jeep!

Here are the links to my stretch. The front is done... the rear is happening right now.

Front
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...ension-525699/

Rear
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...tretch-935813/

www.rockfrogs.org

Last edited by E_ROCK; 01-05-2010 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Fixed link
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yours looks good too! Your link for the rear stretch is the same link as the front though.
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #27
Dannyboy6292
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Badass Jeep!
Dannyboy6292 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #28
68buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetbikeDepot View Post
Now for the steering box..........

Now that your axle centerline is @ 6" farther forward the stock rearward pointing pitman arm won't work.

So replace it with a Astro Van reverse rotation steering box, its a direct bolt in, no modifications required. With my steering setup I used the flat Astro Van pitman arm, I did have to use a dremel to remove the keyways in the splines so I could center it up ( for some reason on the van the arm is keyed offset to one side).

I'm crossover hi-steer, with heims joints and 1.5" tubing. I can detail that information if anyone is interested.

FYI...a Chevy DANA 60 will bolt right in as will the 14 bolt without moving the perches (the pinion angle on the rear is spot on if your using a single cardon driveshaft), didn't even need to move the shock mounts on the front but I did on the rear. I took both my axles from a 1985 M1008 CUCV. If your farther interested in the axles swap and transfer case swap with the stretch let me know I'll give more details along with the OFF THE SHELF drive shaft that bolted right in!

I'LL GIVE THE DETAILS ON THE SPRINGS LATER ON......

I have this exact setup and have gathered alot of information from Tomb's jeep.

I have the astro box currently mounted, but I have not purchased the high steer arms.

Is there a concern due to the drag link and tie rod not being parallel? Mine will look just like your picture and I was concerned by the andle. I guess I had the wrong idea that I need to keep them in line.

Thanks for your details, I was about 30 minutes away from just relocating the stock box.
68buggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #29
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The drag link needs to be vertically parallel to the tie rod (or as close as possible to prevent as much bump steer as possible). Horizontaly not parallel doesn't make any difference in the steering.
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #30
68buggy

That's great to know. I'll proceed as planned then.

Do you have any interference between your pitman arm and the drivers side spring during a left turn when the spring is compressed?
68buggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.