XJ stretch front and rear pics and info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ stretch front and rear pics and info

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

XJ stretch front and rear pics and info

I had a request for pics of my build, seems that there are some interest lately in stretching with XJ leaves. So I figured I could start and informational thread that could become a sticky for easy reference in the future.

If you have done a similar project please post up your pics and information to help out those in the process.

As for my YJ, I took these pics this morning, its obvious in the pics that I have some loose ends to tidy up....hey its a JEEP its never done..LOL

I'm running a Chevy 60 up front and a 14 bolt rear, I can give the details on that swap later on if there is any interest, but lets keep this thread focused on the XJ stretch.

PARTS LIST:

(8) XJ leaf springs

(8) leaf spring clamps (I use two on each spring)

(4) spring hangers (new or used I build mine)

@34" of 2"x4" tubing, mine is heavy wall (for front crossmember)

(2) frame end caps for the front (I'll explain later, I built mine)

@43" C channel to replace the flimsy rear crossmember (I cut and broke mine from .25" plate)

Astro Van steering box with pitman arm (the remainder of the steering will depend on the axles and type of steering you want)

Shackles, U-bolts, spring hangers bushings and shock mounts of your choice

The fuel tank will need moved, I build an aluminum tank to fit behind my rear seat, I simply transfered the stock pump and other componants directly into the aluminum tank.

Let me sort my pictures and get to typing, so check back I'll be working on this thread today.

StreetbikeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice rig man i like the color scheme being kept with flat colors
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll start with the front..........I also want to point out that I have a CNC plasma table so I burned out all my parts, but everything can be cut with torch also for the home shop guys.

I used a 2x4 heavy wall tube cut to length (outside width of the frame) and I tacked it to the outside of my frame rails.

Then I made two C shaped plates to cap the ends and reinforce the new crossmeber to the frame rails.

Notice how my side plate was cut to slip over and past the original round crossmember.

Once all that is welded up, I welded on my new front spring hanger that I fabbed up out of .25" plate and some tubing. Right off-hand I don't rmember what the I.D. of the tube is, measure up your bushing and use tubing of your choice. I chose to use the stock YJ bushing since they are easy to get, cheap and flex around nicely.

With this setup my shackle angle is @ 45 degrees. I put some time and effort designing my shackle hangers, I wanted to make sure the new hangers to be at the same height as the originals, and the length to get me close to my 45 degree shackle angle.
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler95 View Post
nice rig man i like the color scheme being kept with flat colors
Thanks! I love flat colors, the green is a satin and all the black is ultra flat. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the orange beadlocks but they grew on me, kind of an odd contrast that works.....LOL
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty sexy jeep. It is actaully pretty much exactly where mine will be ending up. I just picked up a set of full width axles for it and it is already OD green with the spice top.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now for the steering box..........

Now that your axle centerline is @ 6" farther forward the stock rearward pointing pitman arm won't work.

So replace it with a Astro Van reverse rotation steering box, its a direct bolt in, no modifications required. With my steering setup I used the flat Astro Van pitman arm, I did have to use a dremel to remove the keyways in the splines so I could center it up ( for some reason on the van the arm is keyed offset to one side).

I'm crossover hi-steer, with heims joints and 1.5" tubing. I can detail that information if anyone is interested.

FYI...a Chevy DANA 60 will bolt right in as will the 14 bolt without moving the perches (the pinion angle on the rear is spot on if your using a single cardon driveshaft), didn't even need to move the shock mounts on the front but I did on the rear. I took both my axles from a 1985 M1008 CUCV. If your farther interested in the axles swap and transfer case swap with the stretch let me know I'll give more details along with the OFF THE SHELF drive shaft that bolted right in!

I'LL GIVE THE DETAILS ON THE SPRINGS LATER ON......

Last edited by StreetbikeDepot; 01-03-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Brads_nky_yj

What did your final wheelbase come out to be? Also did you use just regular perches or any sort of aftermarket perch? Im doing this mine very soon (xj's front and rear) and will be using ruff stuff perches and they have an extra hole in them so you can push it out even more. About another inch on each end.

Also, do you ever see any problems wheeling with the astro box? I know that is a lot of guys concerns when using it. I dont see any problems as long as you dont go right for a rock lol Also, when you said you had to use a dremel to get rid of the key ways in the splines, what exactly do you mean? I have my astro box and arm right here so I can take a look at it.

One more question, lol, what is your belly height and total height (to top of cage).

Thanks!
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I never have any issues with the astro van box, its in the same location as the original box except the pitman arm is forward.

I made my own perches.

I'll step out and measure my clearances here in a bit.
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The rear......

Pretty much the same except the rear frame rails are long enough to not need extended. The stock rear panel is not near strong enough to support springs, so I broke up a piece of .25 plate to cover the ends of the exposed frame rails once I removed the original panel.

I used the same perches on the rear that I made for the front.

You WILL need to relocate the fuel tank, I built an aluminum tank that fits behind the rear seat, it holds about 12 gallons.

Installing a beafy rear crossmember also allows a place to mount recovery points and a hitch. I pull a M101 trailer with mine, thats why I have a pintle hook on there. The other mounts are for my swing down tire carrier that I'm working on now.

Unread 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I do have a disc brake conversion in order for the 14 bolt for those wondering why I'm still running those big ole' drums...LOL
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My belly clearance is 21.5"....keep in mind that I'm running a stock belly skid and I'm only on 38.5's, I can easily fit 40's for a little more clearance. Here is pic with 39.5's while I was setting it up.

Unread 01-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I liked my XJ leafs as well......

Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
4luck0
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetbikeDepot View Post
My belly clearance is 21.5"....keep in mind that I'm running a stock belly skid and I'm only on 38.5's, I can easily fit 40's for a little more clearance. Here is pic with 39.5's while I was setting it up.

are those stock inner fender wells
4luck0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
StreetbikeDepot
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, stock inner fenders, I just got off the outer part for the tube fenders. Since I didn't have the tube fenders finished in that pic you can see where I seperated the inner fender from the outer at the pinch weld.
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
What did your final wheelbase come out to be? Also did you use just regular perches or any sort of aftermarket perch? Im doing this mine very soon (xj's front and rear) and will be using ruff stuff perches and they have an extra hole in them so you can push it out even more. About another inch on each end.

Also, do you ever see any problems wheeling with the astro box? I know that is a lot of guys concerns when using it. I dont see any problems as long as you dont go right for a rock

Thanks!

My wheelbase was 106" with XJ's front and rear using stock frameside mounts.

I, as im sure the OP will say, have never had a problem while using the astro box. He's on 38.5's and I was on 42's....if you were on 35's I might see you getting it into the rocks...but not with decent meats on it.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.