XJ springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ springs

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

XJ springs

hey guys, i have a mostly stock suspension setup. I just got given a set of XJ rear springs with a 2" add a leaf in them. What is my best best on doing something with them for my jeep? I want a beefier spring for the front of my jeep as my HEAVY bumper and winch... Any help would be great!!

Unread 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

any answers guys?
Unread 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am not 100% certain on this, but I think the only reason for using the XJ springs is when used to push the rear axle back. I think you gain almost 6 inches of wheel base length.

I am not sure of any real benefit to running XJ leaf springs.

John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Checo18
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's true that using xj leafs will push back the axle I don't know how much for sure either : /, but realize if you try to put those on with out the proper mods you'll run into all kinds of clearance issues.
()_)[COLOR="red"]-[/COLOR]()_)--o-)_)

2.5L, 4" RE lift, 1" booms on the front, Revolvers on the back, 1" B.L., Aussie in the 35, 31" Trxus tires, Gen-rite rocker guards, BTF tube fenders, Pro Comp bumpers, KC lights, Hi-lift and a whole lot of love.
Checo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Brads_nky_yj

You'll need to do something about your rear gas tank, extend your driveshaft/brake lines.

I got 7" of stretch using ruff stuff perches with the extra center pin hole. I gained almost 15" of wheelbase stretch by using xj springs front and rear.

They are super soft, only downfall. make sure you beef em up or add an extra main spring to the pack. Also with the 2" add a leaf SOA it will be super tall. Sua with that set up would work super nice.
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, he said he wanted it for the front... You get into all sorts of issues up there. You have to move the rear frame hanger, and mess with steering, cause it'll push the axle pretty far forward. I don't think it would make for a more heavy duty spring that stock yj springs. Stock yj springs are pretty stiff, xj springs... kinda squishy, especially with the weight of a motor on top of them. In the front i think they'd settle too much, too fast.
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Brads_nky_yj

you dont have to move the rear frame hanger at all. You just have to do something with your front shackle hanger. I bought way back hangers from ruff stuff and put em on the front of my bumper, I used an astro van steering box with a reverse steering arm and added 2 more springs to my front pack. no problems. you just gotta know what your doing and what to do if you do run into problems.
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well i already did move my axle backwards on my stock rear springs when i did my 8.8 swap. Just been looking for a few inches of lift. Dont feel like buying a lift kit...Im to POOR.

I flat fender'd my front already, doing comp cut rear corners now. Just wanna gain about two inches out of junk yard stuff. Like to make my own **** instead of buying.
Unread 05-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Brads_nky_yj

Go to the junk yard and grab some full size waggy springs. Combine them with your YJ springs to make the perfect lift height. Then put them in there. You wont have to change anything...anything...and they usually net about 3" of stretch.

You wont have steering problems and you'll gain a bit of stretch.

If you use the xj springs in the front you'll need to spend some money to do everything right. But not too much.
Unread 05-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep795 View Post
Stock yj springs are pretty stiff
Put the crack pipe down and stop listening to mysterious voices in your head.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.