XJ HVAC system in YJ.....Lets try it.. - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ HVAC system in YJ.....Lets try it..

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #121
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its looking great.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #122
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey so how you coming along on this swap?
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #123
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Slow, Very slow. I mean it will not be done until I finish wiring the whole Jeep. I have been too busy working on everyone elses stuff, and making my motor mounts, visiting family, I rebuilt an 06 F-150 recently for some extra cash, yadda yadda....

This Sunday is the first day in probably a month I hope to even touch it haha. I hope to get her started Sunday. Maybe I will have some news on Monday.

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #124
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I got the HVAC unit working yesterday!!

When I say working, the blower motor runs, and adjusts speeds with the control switch. I did not have time to try anything else, but since this things is pretty "standalone" all the vacuum controlled stuff should work.

I still have to work out how to get the AC system to work though.

Unread 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #125
jmmorgan82

Excellent news. Keep us updated!
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #126
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lol still following your thread but it is hard to be as enthusiastic with the mercury hitting 20!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #127
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks,

Well it is not that cold here! But at least my heat works, I have "bigger fish to fry" before I get the AC working.

Unread 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #128
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

progress?
snail81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #129
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

well, all the vacuum operated stuff works as it should. All I need to do now is mount a compressor and plumb everything.

I have just been way too busy with re-building a boat, building a CNC plasma table, designing/building a press brake, designing other peoples stuff, and designing a sheetmetal dashboard......

The Jeep has been neglected....

Unread 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #130
Johnfire
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am looking to do the same, how did you work out the wiring to make it standalone. My option is to pull from a junkyard, and had been working on getting one out when I ran into one problem getting it out clean so I stopped and figured I would come back to it, or start over on another vehicle. Just a little worried on being able to wire it to work correctly since I have never messed with this kind of a setup.
Johnfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #131
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

This system electrically is basically just a blower and a speed resistor, and then a few switches for AC component control.

I should have documented what wires went where a little better, but it really only was a few. I bought wiring diagrams for both vehicles from alldatadiy.com that really helped.

If you pull from a vehicle, you have to take your time to get ALL the components and wiring harnesses that go along with it.

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #132
twiisted71

YJ I'd love to see the interior with the controls and outlets. Also do you have a ballpark figure on that sheet metal firewall scab's cost? Cherokees are one of the least picked over vehicles in any yard you go to. I've been trying to come up with a cable operated system since I'm not going to have vacuum.
You still making mounts? I've sent a dozen or more folks your way! You need to come up with a TJ set now that they are getting more common in the used/abused market. More and more people are asking for mounts. Many are using the Jeff D, flat style isolators with simple angle iron brackets.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #133
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
YJ I'd love to see the interior with the controls and outlets. Also do you have a ballpark figure on that sheet metal firewall scab's cost? Cherokees are one of the least picked over vehicles in any yard you go to. I've been trying to come up with a cable operated system since I'm not going to have vacuum.
You still making mounts? I've sent a dozen or more folks your way! You need to come up with a TJ set now that they are getting more common in the used/abused market. More and more people are asking for mounts. Many are using the Jeff D, flat style isolators with simple angle iron brackets.
Man, I have been so busy designing stuff for other people, my dashboard project got put on hold, I did build my press brake though. It has been a little cold and snow in PA too to be working on the Jeep much since I do not currently have a garage to work on the Jeep in.

I am also helping a buddy do a 350 swap into a TJ, so I may try to take a ton of measurements off of his frame and design some mounts, but I do not want to sell them until I have installed and used them myself, and I just do not have the budget or time to do a 4bt swap into a TJ right now.

The sheetmetal for the firewall cost like $80 I think. I am not sure if the older Cherokees had cable operated HVAC controls. But there is a TON of useful stuff on junkyard Cherokees. I have yet to ever see a YJ in a junkyard.

This is getting off track of this thread slightly, but yea I am still making YJ mounts, thanks for sending people my way! I am actually working on a new batch right now finally. I should have some ready in a few weeks.

Jeff D is probably making a killing off their mounts, I know how much it costs them to produce those, about 1/4 of what it costs me to make mine, and they still sell them for much more than I do. I REALLY wish I had the chance to compare engine vibes in my YJ w my mounts compared to theirs, id buy a vibrometer just to prove my mounts absorb vibes better. I have my electric vacuum pump mounted on the firewall (with little rubber isolators) and the vibrations that that little thing makes are like 5 times more than the engine vibes! Now, those vibes are definitely amplified by the sheetmetal, but, you get what I am mean. I designed my mounts specifically to absorb vibration and be bullet proof, Jeff D designed them to be cheap and easy to make, "fit all", and then threw some liquid isolators in there to try to absorb vibes...... I would be willing to bet their bent plates flex quite a bit as well, and I would not feel safe supporting 750lbs with them....

Wow, I really babbled on there....., sorry guys.

Unread 01-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #134
twiisted71

Yeah I can't believe people don't get that they could just buy a couple of pieces of 6" x 1/4" angle iron and some cheap marine engine mounts and have exactly the same thing as the JD mounts! They just have some nice slots burned in the plates! Ah well it stimulates the economy!

Glad to hear you have more work than you can handle! Don't complain too loud
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.