XJ HVAC system in YJ.....Lets try it.. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ HVAC system in YJ.....Lets try it..

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #31
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

youngjeeper11 this guy put the whole XJ dash in a YJ but then the thread just died. Maybe worth checking out? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...16/index6.html

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #32
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

youngerjeep11,
I scanned some of the wiring diagrams from the YJ and XJ hope this helps.
xj-ac-heater-wiring-diagram-1.jpg

xj-ac-heater-wiring-diagram-2.jpg

yj-ac-heater-wiring-diagram-1.jpg

xj-vacuum-schematic.jpg

yj-ac-heater-wiring-diagram-2.jpg
Did you check if the penetration for the heater and AC connections, interfere with the battery tray?

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #33
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, thanks for the help guys!! Seriously, I was not expecting so many great diagrams!

My printer at home is dead, so I am going to print all this stuff out at work, and hopefully sort some things out tomorrow night.

I think the wiring for the AC between a YJ and XJ is similar enought that it should not be too bad.

From my eyeballing and quick measurements the a/c and heater lines should clear to the inside of the battery tray.

Still waiting for my saw-z-all to come so I can actually start doing some surgery....

still going to try to post some pics if I get a chance tonight....

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #34
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

heres some pics of the water valve and vacuum acummulator tank...thing.

I highly recommend using these from a newer cherokee, the vacuum lines are more simplified and the water valve it better quality and more simplified.

The accum tank has 1 larger tube that runs right to the vacuum source, has all the check valves, and tees off for the vacuum needed for the whole AC system.

I am going to try to find time to make an AutoCAD drawing of the system.
water-valve-2.jpg

accum-tank.jpg

water-valve.jpg

Unread 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #35
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

sorry. heres bigger pics
accum-tank.jpg   water-valve-2.jpg   water-valve.jpg  

Unread 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #36
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

man, I need to charge my digital camera, cell phone pics suck haha

Unread 12-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #37
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey I used the same reserve tank from the xj when I did my engine swap because I also used the Cruise Control in the YJ. It nice to have CC on the turn signal stock.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #38
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Hey I used the same reserve tank from the xj when I did my engine swap because I also used the Cruise Control in the YJ. It nice to have CC on the turn signal stock.
I was thinking about doing the same thing later down the road...

Unread 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #39
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 View Post
I was thinking about doing the same thing later down the road...
If you are doing this with the diesel engine is going to be harder than I had. The CC is controlled by the ECM. Now if you where to install a separate controller that would be a different thing all together.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #40
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
If you are doing this with the diesel engine is going to be harder than I had. The CC is controlled by the ECM. Now if you where to install a separate controller that would be a different thing all together.
Yea, I was wondering if I could get everything from an XJ wired up and fool the ECM with the correct speed sensor...... definitely a different project haha.

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #41
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The ecu controlls the electric rad fan and will change the idle to compensate when loaded. I will be intersted to see if you get it working.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #42
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The ecu controlls the electric rad fan and will change the idle to compensate when loaded. I will be intersted to see if you get it working.
Well, I am not really worried about idle change, I dont think the load of the AC compressor is going to load a 4BT enough to where it is very noticable, and there is really no way to electronically control the idle on a 4BT, well, I'm sure it is possible, but no point really...

I am probably going to hardwire an additional electric fan. Not sure where I am going to put the condenser either, my intercooler is kinda in the way, So I may have to mount it elsewhere in the engine compartment with an additonal fan either way.

I do not think it will be difficult to find a signal wire to turn the fan on when the AC is on.....

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #43
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't notice the 5.7! It's actually not so much the compressor as the fan. That electric fan is a huge in rush draw as much as 80 amps and continuous between 20-40 amps. The ecu was compensating for the load. In your case it's totally different. It will still load down but with as much HP as you have I don't think it matters! Like I said, if you need any help electrically I will help out. It looks like a good one to do as a writeup.
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #44
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Chevy 350 5.7 was my old Jeep.

I now have a different one that I put a 4BT into. I still need to find an A/C compressor from a Dodge ram cummins for a reasonable price.

an A/C fan will really draw that much load!?!? I run a taurus electric cooling fan right now that is just thermostatically controlled, and I would think the engine cooling fan would draw a lot more.

Hmm, I wonder if it would be benficial to run some type of independent thermostatically controlled deal for the A/C, but I figured it would be best to just have the A/C fan run constantly if the A/C is turned on.

Looks like I need to do some additional research. I would obviously not just run a wire from the ac controls to the fan, I would definitely have a relay of some type in there, which is another reason I want to utilize the YJ power distribution center.

Do you think I will be ok if I just run it through a relay to be on when the A/C is on? I am a mechanical engineer, not electrical haha. I am only a novice with wiring.

I guess my biggest concern would be my alternator, and how well it would keep up on a hot day running an engine cooling fan and A/C fan, and lights, ect. Not sure of the ratings on my alternator, but I would assume it would be fairly powerful being on a 4BT....

I think a write up will be in order once I get it all figured out. I'll just try to remember to keep things documented.

Unread 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #45
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a Taurus fan then it is just a matter of wiring then to make the taurus fan work for you. The controller I have has an input for the AC to drive the taurus fan mod. I am using the Hayden and it has the setup for it to override the thermocoupler when turning on the ac.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.