JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   XJ HVAC system in YJ.....Lets try it.. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/xj-hvac-system-yj-lets-try-1296879/)

youngjeeper11 12-03-2011 10:44 PM

XJ HVAC system in YJ.....Lets try it..

In my endless quest to add creature comforts to my YJ, I have been debating what I want to do about HVAC. I really dont like the YJ HVAC system, and I want A/C, but I do not want to use one of those under dash AC units, also, I am designing a custom dash, and I really want to add heater vents.

So I researched a few universal hot rod type HVAC units, they are nice, but really pricey.

So what am I left with? A trip to the junkyard today shed some light on my situation. I walked around for a few hours checking out mostly cherokees that had the dashs already torn apart to see how their HVAC systems went together.

I finally decided I could probably take all the A/C components from an XJ, including the controls, vacuum lines, vents, and the entire heater/AC housing, including the blower motor, heater core ect, and retro fit it all into my YJ.

So I found an XJ with an untouched interior that was in good shape, and with the steering wheel already gone. Within an hour and a half, I tore everything I needed out (besides the compressor, condensor ect, mainly because I need to decide what I am going to do for a compressor on my 4BT anyway and the junkyard was closing)

Only cost me $60 bucks so far, tomorrow I am going to do some test fitting to see if I can even get it to work.

If I get it all to work, I will have a more reliable HVAC system without a bunch of cables, and AC hidden behind the dash.

What do ya'll think?

moonshinefuel 12-03-2011 10:52 PM

:thumbsup: Document your experience right here.

Dre40 12-04-2011 06:19 AM

I had thought about doing an XJ dash in my YJ a while back but never got around to doing it.. would like to see how it works out for you...

twiisted71 12-04-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 (Post 12612302)
I will have a more reliable HVAC system without a bunch of cables

Please don't be stingy with the info and lots of pics (whether it works or not). By the way I want to rig mine up with cables as I don't intend to run any vacuum components.

Spuznick242 12-04-2011 08:23 AM

Sounds sweet, I'm intrested...create a build thread and add it to all your others. The only thing is that when I do my 4bt swap I dont care about air coniditioning, I much rather have OBA.

youngjeeper11 12-05-2011 04:29 AM

I got around to doing some test fitting yesterday, and I think it is going to work out a lot better than I initially thought. I just need to cut a hole in the firewall for the ac hoses. I can't post pics from my phone so ill post them tonight

youngjeeper11 12-05-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dre40 (Post 12613002)
I had thought about doing an XJ dash in my YJ a while back but never got around to doing it.. would like to see how it works out for you...

I thought about doing the whole dash as well, but the one thing I noticed that would be hard to get around is that where the dash meets the windsheild is rounded to the contour of the windsheild, and YJs are totally flat so I think it would be difficult to get it to look right.

Dre40 12-05-2011 07:01 AM

you would definitely have to re couture it and do some modifications.. but I think its possibly.. I even looked at an TJ dash as well..but tho are hard to come by.

twiisted71 12-05-2011 07:39 AM

Are the levers that control the various flaps/doors on the outside of the XJ box? I'm going to go with a CJ dash so hopefully that will make vent placement more aesthetic. This sure would be nice instead of having to run 2 separate air handlers, I hope its easy to figure out.

dodger889 12-05-2011 11:17 AM

I could see using the air box from the xj could work to a point but getting the air from there to the vents would be another challenge it's self. sure you could use flexible hoses and such but then where are you going to mount them. You will have to remove the front speakers for vents and then that would not be that big of a deal. Your center vents would to be added. Where are you thinking about putting them?

youngjeeper11 12-05-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger889 (Post 12619722)
I could see using the air box from the xj could work to a point but getting the air from there to the vents would be another challenge it's self. sure you could use flexible hoses and such but then where are you going to mount them. You will have to remove the front speakers for vents and then that would not be that big of a deal. Your center vents would to be added. Where are you thinking about putting them?

I stole all the vents and ducting (minus 1 hose that I dropped trying to carry everything out including my tools with the person on the loud speaker at the junkyard yelling "cash register closes in 5 minutes")

I am designing a totally different dash all together

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...esign-1273153/

So I can put the vents where ever I want. I figured I would get this installed before finishing my dash design to make sure i get everything right.

I will post pics tonight, but I was surprised how similar the units are in shape and vent location, I will almost definitely be able to use the same hole in the firewall for the blower motor, and there is already an "indent" in the YJ firewall that nearly matched the hole needed for the AC and heater lines, almost like this unit was supposed to fit in a YJ. I have high hopes it is going to work, I also noticed the blower motor in the XJ unit is much larger that the one in the YJ unit.

All the vents except 1 are vacuum operated, but the levers and everything are external, you could probably work out a cable system, but I think its slick because the whole unit can be removed by just connectors, including wiring harness and vacuum lines, its practically plug and play. Some of the vents are slightly different sizes, but I am sure I can fab up some quick sheetmetal adapters.

all this talk, and no pics, I will post tonight!

twiisted71 12-05-2011 03:54 PM

LOL yea get in gear and post up some pics. Not that it matters to me as I'm out of commission with some dislocated ribs. Its killing me not being able to set the Cummins in and see how the mounts I got from you turned out!!!!

RobsCrawlin7 12-05-2011 03:58 PM

i will be following this. i dont ever plan on adding ac to my cj, but my buddy is.

youngjeeper11 12-06-2011 06:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Heres some pics, no particular order,

youngjeeper11 12-06-2011 06:14 AM

In the last two pics you can see where I need to cut a hole in the firewall for the heater and ac lines, but there is already a indentation in the firewall where it needs to be.

The time now is 05:16 PM.