XJ front DS as YJ front DS; TC yoke change?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ front DS as YJ front DS; TC yoke change??

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

XJ front DS as YJ front DS; TC yoke change??

If I'm using a front XJ DS as a front YJ DS do I have to change the yoke at the TC?

GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I see you can use 99 TJ shafts too?My friend has a 99 and its got the same double CV H joint

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have XJ front driveshaft as my front driveshaft. You need the front yoke off the XJ transfercase at the same time you get the driveshaft. It will have to be lengthened to fit.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
I have XJ front driveshaft as my front driveshaft. You need the front yoke off the XJ transfercase at the same time you get the driveshaft. It will have to be lengthened to fit.

Thanks a lot, yes I know I have to lengthened the XJ DS. I wasn't sure about the yoke. I have another question: A 1" shackle lift will throw the length of your OEM front DS off by 6"?

Unread 10-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ive never heard of that before. i have 1" shackles and didnt have to mess with my drive shafts
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper View Post
Thanks a lot, yes I know I have to lengthened the XJ DS. I wasn't sure about the yoke. I have another question: A 1" shackle lift will throw the length of your OEM front DS off by 6"?

My shackle lift definitely called for a longer driveshaft but that was only because I'm already SOA with 2" springs. I would get your jeep sitting exactly where you want it and then make a custo measurement from ujoint center to ujoint center. This way you know you are spot on in length.

Oh and FYI, the XJ yoke and YJ yoke are interchangeable, just toss up the cv-style XJ yoke and you are good!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
manicjester3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A TJ front drive shaft will work, you just need the CV style yoke off of basically any Jeep with a CV style front output yoke. Manual 4 cyl or automatic 4 or 6 cylare the same length, and the 6cy manuals are longer. So you would need to get one from a 97-02 with a with the same setup as your Jeep. Later drive shafts, I'm not really sure about, but I did just buy one from a 05 (not sure of engine or trans) and it works perfectly for my Manual 6cyl YJ.
manicjester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
ive never heard of that before. i have 1" shackles and didnt have to mess with my drive shafts
That's what I thought but check the difference in size between the "black" DS and the other one. The "black" DS is the one "this" guy gave me. Supposedly this is the DS HE pulled from my Jeep. The other one is a DS from a bone yard (4Cyl manual).

They are fully closed

Unread 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Not to hijack but what is the difference in ujoint size? I'm looking to do this, I need spares!
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's what I thought but check the difference in size between the "black" DS and the other one. The "black" DS is the one "this" guy gave me. Supposedly this is the DS HE pulled from my Jeep. The other one is a DS from a bone yard (4Cyl manual).

They are fully closed

Can you get some actual measurements? Both driveshafts and actual length between yokes?
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The "black" DS is the one "this" guy gave me. Supposedly this is the DS HE pulled from my Jeep. The other one is a DS from a bone yard (4Cyl manual).

so your comparing a 2.5l front drive shaft to a 4.0l front drive shaft of coarse they are going to be different lengths
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
so your comparing a 2.5l front drive shaft to a 4.0l front drive shaft of coarse they are going to be different lengths
Hey I'm comparing nothing, my rig is a 94 Sahara 4.0 I6cyl. I took the Jeep to "this mechanic" to re-gear the front axle and replace the rear but HE dropped the job half way. He disconnected the front DS because of the ratio difference (front 3.73: rear 3.07) so he gave me the "black DS" when HE abandoned the job and I left. Now I'm putting the rear on the Jeep 3.73 but when the mechanic try to fit the DS it was @ 6" short, that's my point here. This "JERK" (Solofabworks.com) gave the wrong DS obviously. If you read carefully you can see that I got the DS from a bone yard and we fit/test it and is the correct length

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Can you get some actual measurements? Both driveshafts and actual length between yokes?
The long DS is @ 40" long, the black is short @ 36" and I don't know from which vehicle HE took it.

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just swapped mY wrangler from a 4cyl auto to a 4.0 manual. The measurement I took from yoke to yoke was about 40 3/4". Fully extended, my 2.5 auto shaft was 41". I didn't take a measurement of the new front shaft, but it was substantially longer.

So, if it was swapped to a manual, it would explain the different shafts.

I just read a little more carefully and see that you got it figured out.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
GilNewJeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgrad View Post
I just swapped mY wrangler from a 4cyl auto to a 4.0 manual. The measurement I took from yoke to yoke was about 40 3/4". Fully extended, my 2.5 auto shaft was 41". I didn't take a measurement of the new front shaft, but it was substantially longer.
This is the measurement @ 40 3/4" of my rig (yoke to yoke). This is about right.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.