Xenon or Bushwacker fender flares? Which is better quality? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Xenon or Bushwacker fender flares? Which is better quality?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Alamo_Jake
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Xenon or Bushwacker fender flares? Which is better quality?

After searching the forum for an hour or so, I've found the style of fender flares that I'd like for my YJ. Narrowed it down to Xenon 6" flat style flares and Bushwacker 6" flat style flares.

Xenon:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12501_611_07.htm
- $452.99

Bushwacker:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12506_340X_PG.htm
- $492.99

Does anyone have either of these and can comment on their quality? They look pretty much the same as far as I can tell but the Bushwacker flares are $40 more, are they worth the extra $?

I am looking for the "flat" style of fender flares, if there's a better option out there please let me know!

Here's a pic of my jeep, 1988 Sahara with 17" JK Moab wheels and 245/75r17 Firestones. I had to cut the stock rear flares (too much rubbing) and am rubbing the front (hence my need for new fender flares, haha).

Unread 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no comment either way on brand.... but if you're looking at flares for extra coverage AND clearance, I'd suggest getting thos flares in the TJ variety. The YJ models will give you more coverage (wider) but not much (if any) more clearance... the TJ flares will give you both allowing you to go up in tire size down the road if you decide to.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Alamo_Jake
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
no comment either way on brand.... but if you're looking at flares for extra coverage AND clearance, I'd suggest getting thos flares in the TJ variety. The YJ models will give you more coverage (wider) but not much (if any) more clearance... the TJ flares will give you both allowing you to go up in tire size down the road if you decide to.
Gotcha, I'll check out a couple of the "TJ" style kits as well. I liked the "flat" style just because of the way they looked, but I am trying to keep functionality in mind so this is good info. Thanks man!
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Xenons... so far no complains but I don't wheel my Jeep much, it's more of a DD with the occasional offroad trip. Here's a pic!
flare.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I might not have been clear... I wasn't meaning to get TJ "style" flares.... but get those FLAT flares (bushwacker or xenon) when you buy them, order them for a TJ... same general appearance, but made with bigger wheel openings.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Alamo_Jake
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I might not have been clear... I wasn't meaning to get TJ "style" flares.... but get those FLAT flares (bushwacker or xenon) when you buy them, order them for a TJ... same general appearance, but made with bigger wheel openings.
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I misunderstood your first comment, but that make sense now.
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Sakis94Wrangler
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just put smitty bilt pocket flares on mine. You have to drill new holes but not necessarily cut the fenders.

Sakis94Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Mr.ThunderMakeR
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Might want to add that he will have to do some trimming for TJ flares. Not a big deal but he should know what he's getting into.
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just went from TJ flairs back to YJ flairs. I had cut out my fenders to fit the TJ flairs but the Tag flairs I installed fit the TJ cutouts.
tag-flairs.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.