Write up and pictures for setting timing on 89 YJ I6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Write up and pictures for setting timing on 89 YJ I6

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Write up and pictures for setting timing on 89 YJ I6

My engine is out of timing. I have seen the text write ups for setting the timing.

It says to warm it up and then loosen the hold down bolt and then turn the distributor.

I need more details and some pictures.

Which is the hold down bolt? Do I take off the distributor cap? Which way to I rotate the distributor? What part to I actually turn to rotate the distributor?

Cards89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
HUNTER_DENTON07
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the hold down bolt is on the block were the distributor goes in the block. do not take the cap off.do not turn the cap use the base were the cap screws to. just turn forward or backward till the engine smooths out.

HUNTER_DENTON07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The procedure is the same for just about every engine.

idle at about 700 (should teel you on the underhood sticker)
unhook and block vacuum hose to distributor
loosen distro and turn to adjust (it's a two person job)

also, on yours you may need to unhook one of the wires from the vacuum solinoid. I forget the details but you need to get your hands on a haynes or chilton to get the straight dope.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I do this with the engine running? How will I know when it is in timing?
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You need a timing light and probably someone to help that has done this before. No offense but if you have no idea what the concept is and at least a basic idea of what to do you are asking for a long day.

If I tell you to clean off the timing marks on the balancer it probably won't mean much to you without a frame of refference.

Go get a service manual.
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards89YJ View Post
My engine is out of timing. I have seen the text write ups for setting the timing.

It says to warm it up and then loosen the hold down bolt and then turn the distributor.

I need more details and some pictures.

Which is the hold down bolt? Do I take off the distributor cap? Which way to I rotate the distributor? What part to I actually turn to rotate the distributor?
If you have not done this before.....I would get with someone who has. It is VERY simple....but you can get zapped by the coil wire, and then you have to watch the fan blade with the timing light also. But it is very simple. There is a write up with pics somewhere in this forum. Search forum?

Ask Mean Max.....I think he was born in a YJ....lol
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Timing on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is a hand-drawn representation of where my timing mark is when the engine is off. I tried to get a picture of the engine itself and it was just too dark.

With the timing being this far off, what would be the side effects: when cranking? when idling? when driving?
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
fireshadow
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can also set your timing with a vacuum gauge. Loosen the hold down nut on the bottom back of the disturber.(It's a 13mm) Just hook the vacuum gauge up to a manfold vacuum source like the brass t that runs off the bottom of the carb. Then turn your disturber until you get the highest reading off the gauge. Tighten down your hold down nut. Make sure your idle speed is around 700 rpm. Then test drive. And consume .
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards89YJ View Post
Timing on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is a hand-drawn representation of where my timing mark is when the engine is off. I tried to get a picture of the engine itself and it was just too dark.

With the timing being this far off, what would be the side effects: when cranking? when idling? when driving?
You mean you shut it off and it just happened to stop there? If so, that means nothing. The timing is referenced from the cranshaft position when the #1 spark plug fires.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
GatorsUF
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I tried to adjust the timing on my Jeep and the distributor cap does not turn... I was told the timing is adjusted by the computer. But there are timing marks so that would indicate that you can adjust it yourself somehow.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

timing on the 4 cyl is not manually adjustable.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
HUNTER_DENTON07
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if it has a distributor then it needs to be timed. newer engine like the gen 3 vortecs are timed by comp. and do not have a distributor. even diesel engine most diesel engine need to be timed some way

HUNTER_DENTON07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me what the scs sensor looks like. The book says to unhook it and the vacume hose but I am not sure I am getting the right plug. There is a little plug above the valve cover that has 2 wires and a disc about the size of a quarter. Is that the one I unhook? For the love of god I want this thing to stop sounding like a cummins diesel going up hills. Please help out a noob.
Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.