Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wrench Size for Front Diff Plug?

17K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  leftlanetruckin 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm going to change the diff fluid in my YJ for the first time since I bought it last fall. It has the stock axles (Dana 30 in the front I think?) The drain plug for the diff has a hex plug in it that is bigger than my biggest hex wrench.

Any one know off hand what size that bugger is?

The rear diff seems to have a rubber plug of some sort. I assume that just pulls out?

Thanks!
Layth

#3 ·
That's a fill plug. You need to remove the diff cover to drain the fluid.

#4 ·
got a pic? i can't imagine the diff having a plug in it that large, unless your wrenches don't go past about 5/8". my front has a 9/16" square plug. the t-case has large drain and fill plugs near where the drive shaft goes into it in the rear which are 30 mm. are you talking about those?

#6 ·
OK you guys are exactly right. Note to self -- look closer before opening mouth. As you all said, there's only one plug in each diff cover and the front at least is a square drive, not a hex.

So I'll be removing the covers to drain. Do they use a gasket when I button them back up? Or do you use RTV on them?

Thanks guys, sorry about the mix-up!

#8 ·
I was just on spring break and did the same thing myself. I have stock D35 rear and D30 front. I have filler plugs, but to drain you have to remove the diff cover.

Be careful to keep that CLEAN.

In the quadratec catelog you can't get the gasket unless you buy the whole differential rebuild kit for $99..... so just go to any auto parts store and get the gasket for a buck.

#9 ·
My Haynes manual suggests pumping out the fluid as an alternative -- which might not be such a bad idea if the fluid you are replacing is just old (as opposed to contaminated or dirty). No worry about resealing the gasket.

They make a small hand pump especially for that purpose.

#13 ·
jay-h said:
My Haynes manual suggests pumping out the fluid as an alternative -- which might not be such a bad idea if the fluid you are replacing is just old (as opposed to contaminated or dirty). No worry about resealing the gasket.

They make a small hand pump especially for that purpose.
Pull the covers, it's not hard to do, and you will be able to inspect the inside for any problems as well.
Mike

#14 ·
jeepdrvr101 said:
Pull the covers, it's not hard to do, and you will be able to inspect the inside for any problems as well.
Mike
agree 100%
preventative maintenance is always cheaper than fixing after a blow up....
will cost you @15 minutes and a $4 tube of permatex rtv.
cheap insurance.

martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.