wrangler wiring harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wrangler wiring harness

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
kukuni17
1971 CJ5 

wrangler wiring harness

Is a 1992 wrangler under dash wiring harness exchangable for a 1991 wrangler under dash wiring harness. I know that jeep revamped the gauges in 1992.

kukuni17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

There shouldn't be too many changes under the dash but '92 was the "bastard year" for the YJ. Alot of things only work for the '92.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

No, a 92 under dash harness will not work in a 91. The 92 harness is completely different than the 91. 1991 was the crossover year, first year for the 4.0L motor in the YJ. An 87 to 91 under dash harness will work in your 91 YJ.

-

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
kukuni17
1971 CJ5 

Thank you......
kukuni17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
ccloyd
1991 YJ Wrangler 

91 YJ Wiring Harness Interchangeability

Can anyone tell me if a 1991 engine wiring harness is the only one that will work on my 91 wrangler? Will a 92? 88? etc...
ccloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the engine harness' from 91-95 go, they are the same and are interchangeable. The only differences will be that some of the sensor connections changed between the years, but this is easily remedied. For instance, the '91 engine temp sensor for the gauge had a single wire push on connection, were as the '92 and later had a weather pak connector. Same is true for the oil pressure sensor, but the electrics is the same, only some of the connectors for the sensors may be different. If I missed something, I am sure it is easily overcome. The OBDI engine harness is essentially the same and is compatible from '91-'95 except for the few sensor connections that are easily overcome. Pre '91 is a different ball game altogether.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
ccloyd
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I'm only missing one section of the harness - the section from the firewall to the speed sensor on the tranny, so I suppose I better stick with a 91...
ccloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccloyd View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm only missing one section of the harness - the section from the firewall to the speed sensor on the tranny, so I suppose I better stick with a 91...
Good choice, the speedo drive for the '91 (outside of the engine bay wiring) is different from all other years. The '91 uses both a mechanical and VSS output sensor at the transfer case outlet. On the '91 this is a two wire output and has a reed actuated switch for the VSS and still has the mechanical cable drive for the speedometer. '92 and later does not have the mechanical cable output and supplies the speedometer and VSS info with a hall effect sensor to the ecm.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.