Wrangler Throttle/Accelerator sticking!!
2.5L I4 Engine
5sp Manual Tranny.
I have seen a few posts here regarding a sticky throttle, but everyone's symptoms seems to be quite varied, so I'd like to post my own if everyone does mind.
This just started suddenly this morning. Two things going on simultaneously:
1. The engine, while accelerating, suddenly sounds like it has been turbo-charged. Ie; when I'm on the gas, there is now a high-pitched "whine", which sounds exactly like the older turbo-chargers we've all heard, with their "whine" sound. When I push in the clutch to shift, the whine decreases, but then increases steadily again once I'm accelerating. It does this in all 5 gears.
2. (More importantly): The throttle/accelerator is suddenly sticking and the engine will race up to as high as 4,000rpm. Specifically:
2a. I'm in gear, accelerating to the next gear. I take my foot off the gas pedal and it stays in place, as if I had cruise control (which I don't), and I keep going down the road at the same speed.
2b. I push in the clutch at this point, and the rpms race up to as high as 4,000rpms. I can step on the break, which does slow me down, but the rpms stay racing.
2c. --> *** If I do a sharp "pop" push/release on the gas pedal, it feels like something that was stuck was suddenly released and the rpms drop down to normal. This does seem to work every time it sticks.
2d. It seems to do this at any gear-level, and at any speed.
2e. I pulled into a gas station asap (rpms were still racing), and shut off the engine. I then restarted the engine, and the rpms were STILL racing. Shut it off again and popped the hood. I found the throttle accelerator linkage, and it looked like it was "extended" (IE; in the position it would be if you were accelerating). I gently popped the back of it with my hand and it physically "released" and popped back into the idle position. I restarted the engine, and the rpms were normal again (until I took off driving again and it did it again, of course).
* I have read some other posts where someone said their rpms were racing, but that the gas pedal had NOT stayed stuck in position. My pedal DOES seem to physically stay where it was when I release my foot, until I pop it.
* I have also read one post where someone thought that their Throttle Return Spring was missing (not the captive one in the TBI, but the external one that would connect from the throttle linkage arm to the raised bracket above the intake manifold). They apparently asked a Jeep dealer for a spring and were told that a MANUAL tranny wrangler does not have such a spring...(mine, in fact, does not, but I thought maybe it just broke and flew off)
IS THAT CORRECT?
* I have seem posts indicating to replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).
* I have seen posts saying to just get some Throttle Body cleaner and clean the butterfly and related TBI parts.
* have seen a post suggesting replacing the IAC (Idle Air Control).
Considering my symptoms, does anybody have a good idea what the heck is causing this? (Particularly keeping in mind the first symptom #1 listed at the beginning, that being the corresponding sudden high-pitched "turbo whine" sound)
Thanks in advance for any assistance