Wrangler milage/power - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler milage/power

Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #46
rawlston
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post

Let me asks you this:

Why, without a thermostat, do our engines run colder than they should?

And don't just use your heated opinion, use your brain.

Cooling systems are often intentionally over-engineered to provide MORE than enough ample cooling through a variety of climate changes. A thermostat is required to regulate the cooling temperature within a very small range to keep the engine at a specific operating temperature.
Wouldn't any car/truck run cooler without a thermostat? The thermostat lets water circulate at a certain temperature, but until the engine reaches that specific temperature the thermostat keeps water from circulating. Therefore, with no thermostat to regulate when to circulate the water, the water circulates constantly and keeps the engine cooler. Not trying to argue this is just what I understand the thermostat to do.

Pocket
"Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat."
rawlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #47
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The only problem with not having a thermostat is in the winter the engine won't warm up properly.
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #48
rawlston
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea1987 View Post
The only problem with not having a thermostat is in the winter the engine won't warm up properly.
Agreed. As little heat as we have ot would suck to lose it
Pocket
"Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat."
rawlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #49
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said, our cooling systems are highly efficient at cooling the engine down. If they were just barely capable of keeping the engine cool, our friends in desert climates would be cooking their engines. In the cold, cooling system efficiency is even greater because the air flowing through the radiator is already cold.

A thermostat basically blocks coolant flow, most of it at least. When the coolant gets hot enough from the engine heating it up, the t-stat opens up and lets all of that hot coolant flow through the radiator to cool down, then it is sent back into the engine.

Without the t-stat in place, engines run too cold, and sometimes it won't even go into closed loop mode- crucial for efficiency as well as for emissions reasons.

It doesn't take an engineer to understand all of this, just use your logical thinking and you can figure it out. A lot of engineers are like us- they have the ability to figure things out just by using logical reasoning. Of course there aren't very bright bulbs in the bucket (pretty evident as of late) that will try to argue otherwise.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #50
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know a good brand shackle lift to go with? I want to go with the boomerang style, but not up and up on the good brands
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #51
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea1987
Anyone know a good brand shackle lift to go with? I want to go with the boomerang style, but not up and up on the good brands
Besrk. He's a forum member.
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #52
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Besrk. He's a forum member.
Thanks, looked him up and sent a message, what ever his reply is I will post it here, (and give him credit for his advice as well)
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #53
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is the response I got back from Besrk, I will be buying a set from him before the end of the month.

Hi,

Thank you for the interest!

Since I do sell Boomerangs, I'd have to say mine are a good brand!!

Seriously though.. there's not a whole lot of difference in the actual shackle plates if they are the same thickness. Most of the better ones are 3/8" thick plate versus 1/4".

Mine are CNC Plasma Cut from 3/8" plate. Keep in mind, I only sell the plates.. no nuts/bolts/hardware. My plates are also bare steel so they need to be painted.

Mine are geared toward the Jeeper who doesn't mind sourcing some of his/her own hardware and shooting a little paint.

My Boomerangs come in 3 lengths.. Stock (4"), 1/2" Lift (5"), and 1" Lift (6").
Price is $24.75 per 4 plates (1 axle) Shipped. So, for both axles, it would be $49.50 shipped.

If you decide you'd like to order, I can take Paypal at GPFAB@VERIZON.NET and would ship within 1 business day of receipt of payment.

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have anymore questions and thanks again!! Eddie

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.