Wrangler milage/power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler milage/power

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wrangler milage/power

So, I know this is a pretty common question being asked, and I see a lot of people get picked on for it.

I have a 1990 Wrangler and I'm trying to find out what engine I can put in it (it's a stock straight 4 and a 5 speed tranny) and keep as much stock as possible and slightly improve gas mileage and power.

I know it will never get great gas mileage, but it has no lift and I have the recommended tires on it as well.

Thanks.

flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

A High Output 4.0L?

That will be as close to stock as you can get if you want to improve what you have. Why not just get a 2.5L from a newer model? Or rebuild the 2.5L if you're not planning to keep it stock?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

With the current motor I'm magically pulling off 19mpg.... stock, top end is rebuilt but needs new... not sure what they're called, but they have lines connected to them on the valve cover and a new oil cap, as it spits oil out of the top right now.. lol. However, If it's getting 19 (all my driving has been highway so far) I figure it can do better with a motor with a little more power. A newer engine would need a brain though correct? (fuel injection)
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea1987 View Post
With the current motor I'm magically pulling off 19mpg.... stock, top end is rebuilt but needs new... not sure what they're called, but they have lines connected to them on the valve cover and a new oil cap, as it spits oil out of the top right now.. lol. However, If it's getting 19 (all my driving has been highway so far) I figure it can do better with a motor with a little more power. A newer engine would need a brain though correct? (fuel injection)
Yes you would need the wiring and ECU and all that. It sounds like your crankcase ventilation system is plugged and pushing the oil back through the fresh air inlet. Check all those lines, the manifold port, and the valve cover to see if there is a lot of crud built up. I had the same issue. I ended up taking my valve cover off, removing the baffles under it and cleaning them thoroughly. Haven't had the issue since.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They're pretty loose, don't know what they're called and local parts store guy got confused when I pointed them out, they're loose and when idling you can watch the oil splash out. Need to know what they're called so I can buy new ones and see if it fixes the problem.
engine-top-edit.jpg  
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How hard is the fuel injection swap?
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The 4 banger has FI

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mines carb
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
JCashen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Those are PCV (Positive crankcase ventilation) valves. It's probably throttle body injection.

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, 4.10 LSD 8.8
JCashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just got it recently, I'll check when I get back from offshore.
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
rawlston
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see a fuel rail in the picture like on a fuel injested but I may just be blind. Just to make sure you do have an electric fan correct? Just asking bc I can't see one behind the rad
Pocket
"Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat."
rawlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the fan. The other issue is you're missing a stud and nut on the water pump pulley.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea1987 View Post
They're pretty loose, don't know what they're called and local parts store guy got confused when I pointed them out, they're loose and when idling you can watch the oil splash out. Need to know what they're called so I can buy new ones and see if it fixes the problem.
If this is your engine, then you are already Fuel Injected. ALL YJ 2.5L models are FI from the factory. The 1987-1990 models are Throttle body Injection (TBI), which means they have a throttle body and one big injector inside of the throttle body. It's a crude form of FI, but it avoids the additional costs with a more modern style FI system.

Which brings us to 1991-1995 YJ 2.5L models, which are Multi-Port Fuel Injection (MPFI), and have one injector per cylinder (4 total). Pop the air cleaner off of the throttle body and you will see a big injector in there.

Swapping to an MPFI setup is not worth the time or effort for a mere 3HP power gain, and nearly 0mpg gain. You have to swap mostly everything electrical on the Jeep (computer, harness, fuse panel, so on and so forth).

As for your circles, the circle ontop is a Crankcase Ventilation Breather (dealer only part, it's about $12), and the part on bottom is your PCV valve. You will likely have to replace both of the grommets.

------------

As far as MPG goes, 19mpg average is absolutely fantastic with our glorified bricks. You won't be getting much better, not without careful highway driving and possibly a bigger engine.

Stock vs stock, the 2.5L Jeeps do better on gas both on the road and on the trail than the 4.0L models.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is not my engine, lol I have a clutch fan and a GIANT fan shroud lol. I'll put an actual picture up when I get back from offshore, who knows when that'll be with the BOP acting up
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
If this is your engine, then you are already Fuel Injected. ALL YJ 2.5L models are FI from the factory. The 1987-1990 models are Throttle body Injection (TBI), which means they have a throttle body and one big injector inside of the throttle body. It's a crude form of FI, but it avoids the additional costs with a more modern style FI system.

Which brings us to 1991-1995 YJ 2.5L models, which are Multi-Port Fuel Injection (MPFI), and have one injector per cylinder (4 total). Pop the air cleaner off of the throttle body and you will see a big injector in there.

Swapping to an MPFI setup is not worth the time or effort for a mere 3HP power gain, and nearly 0mpg gain. You have to swap mostly everything electrical on the Jeep (computer, harness, fuse panel, so on and so forth).

As for your circles, the circle ontop is a Crankcase Ventilation Breather (dealer only part, it's about $12), and the part on bottom is your PCV valve. You will likely have to replace both of the grommets.

------------

As far as MPG goes, 19mpg average is absolutely fantastic with our glorified bricks. You won't be getting much better, not without careful highway driving and possibly a bigger engine.

Stock vs stock, the 2.5L Jeeps do better on gas both on the road and on the trail than the 4.0L models.
Going to MPFI gives you about 30 more horsepower. Not just 3. Que89yj is getting ready to do it. I just sent him the parts from my old engine. He wouldnt do it just for 3 horsepower. Also with MPFI and 33x12.5 tires I am still getting about 17mpg on stock gears.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.