Wrangler ignition switch question starter solenoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler ignition switch question starter solenoid

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
CJwranglerjeeps
1983 CJ7 

Wrangler ignition switch question starter solenoid

Hi there,

I'll try to explain best I can. I am making a hybrid Jeep. 1988 Wrangler tub & wiring harness & automatic steering column on a CJ frame.

New Wrangler motor (258cu) The transmission now is a T5 manual w/ the CJ flywheel on a brand the new Wrangler Motor.

My Problem: The starter & solenoid set ups are both different.

CJ starter solenoid on fender well & the wrangler has the solenoid on the starter it self.

How do I wire the old style solenoid with the wrangler solenoid wires givin? I was just reading the forums as well & it said somehing about the neutral safety switch, should I disconnect the NSS?

Does the NSS ground wire go to the wrangler solenoid?

If it is to much to re wire, is there a CJ Starter for the 258cu w/ the solenoid built on it that I can purchase? & then I guess I just can use the Jeep wrangler wiring set up ...

And or what would be a Starter that will fit this hybrid a w/ the solenoid attached to the starter itself so I can just use the wrangler stock wiring set up?

The wrangler starter is just way to small... Need a heavy duty CJ starter but w/ the solenoid attached.

if I haven't explained this well, Im sorry... if you have any questions for me to help me figure this out... please let me know... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you,AC

Last edited by CJwranglerjeeps; 11-24-2012 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: up dating qeustion
CJwranglerjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok so if I understand correctly:
you currently have a solenoid on the firewall that the cj used.
You have a starter on the 258 that the solenoid is mounted to.
The wiring you have is set up to go to the starter mounted solenoid.
You have wiring for the NSS that needs to be dealt with.

Am I good so far?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
CJwranglerjeeps
1983 CJ7 

Afternoon, thank you for reply... Yes you are good so far the only thing the starter on the Jeep now is the CJ starer w/ no solenoid on it.

I have to wire it to the old style solenoid using the CJ starter but wrangler wiring harness. And probably have to bypass the NSS since it was an automatic & now is a Manuel.

or I would need to find a Big enough starter w/ a solenoid on it to match the CJ starter size and use the pre existing wrangler set up w/ the firewall solenoid...

I lost a lot of sleep over this far trying to figure this all out and today I am going to plug away again...

Thank you for any help, very much appreciated!
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

image-2569427150.jpg

This is my current set up. The green wire comes from the relay block just below my hand on the fire wall. The grn wire triggers the relay to turn the starter.
I haven't had any issues, but some Ford lovers tell me to always carry a spare relay.
image-3027698122.jpg  
rogerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
CJwranglerjeeps
1983 CJ7 

Thank you! We got it turned over today... new starter, new solenoid, the previous owner screwed w/ the wiring...We have left side of solenoid to battery,other side to starter, green wire to (S) terminal & the Coil wire to the (I) terminal..My pops & I fiddled w/ it all day... hopefully 2maro itll run...
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
YJwrangler88

Starting from scratch?

Not sure this post is even active but I am having an issue with my wrangler. It is an 88 but I just had a motor put in, and it must have an 87 flywheel because the 88 starter with the solenoid attached is not engaging correctly, it is grinding bad and seems to be almost slipping and probably eating up the teeth on the flywheel and starter. The guy who did my motor swap put an 88 style starter in and it looks like he die grinded the thing so it would fit better and engage the flywheel better, but it is obviously not correct. I purchased an 87 style starter with the separate solenoid that mounts to the firewall but I am slightly lost as to how to wire it up. I know there is already a bracket with some wires/cables going from the battery to the starter that is mounted to the firewall, but I assume I have to keep that set up and just mount this solenoid above it on the firewall? I am pretty much starting from scratch and only have the wires that are "stock" with the 88 style starter. Do I need additional wires or anything? I am completely going in blind on this one so any help or advice would be great. Thanks guys....

w

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.