Wrangler has poor heat and runs cool - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler has poor heat and runs cool

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #31
Machine15825
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, didn't realize this was such an old thread haha

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #32
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I know it's an old thread but I'm starting to get tired of mine...

I had a leaky radiator and cracking hoses when I bought my YJ. Changed those out and while I was in there, why not the thermostat? I tried a 180 thermostat. WAY too cold... Ran at 165 via gauge and laser thermometer. I tried a 195... Same thing, maybe 170 degrees this time... Still too cold for me... I tried ANOTHER one... Same as before... So, 180 was too cold and tried two 195's with the same problem. I will try ANOTHER one in a different brand this time.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #33
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Don't settle for the cheapest t'stat; they just won't last! I replaced mine several times in a year (AZ, had extended warranty), and finally sprung for a higher quality- end of problem. Make sure the "bleed" hole is on top when you put it in. If it doesn't have a "bleed" hole, then you have a cheapo that you'll probably be replacing in a couple of months...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
awatson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am having the same problem. I guess I need to change T-stats again.
awatson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I have a 93 4.0 and was having an issue with the temp gauge only showing 105. I replaced the thermostat and the tempatue sending unit. With the key in the acc position the gauge now pegs past 260. Any ideas on what would cause that? I'm Thinking a ground, anyone know where the ground is for the temp sending unit?? Thanks
pbmustache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #36
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The sensor is the ground and going full scale is the sensor wire being shorted.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #37
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I need to replace the sensor wire or should I try splicing it?? Not sure why it wasn't pegged before I put the new unit in. Here's a pic of my old sending unit.
image-2365626693.jpg

Unread 10-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #38
Xatten

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That sensor is for the ECM I believe. I could be wrong. The one for the temp gauge is at the very back of the head on the left side. At least on my 91 4.0. Although that one you posted looks like it went through an IED hit!
Xatten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #39
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Haha, been there and done that. A little more then a blown sensor was damaged though! No, it's the the one for the gauge. I pulled it off last night and replaced it. Drivers side rear of the head. I got excited when I saw it thinking that I found the problem. Unfortunately it went from reading nothing to pegged. I'm wondering maybe bad sensor? If the ground was bad it should've caused the sensor to peg with the old sensor in, right?
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #40
Xatten

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmustache
Haha, been there and done that. A little more then a blown sensor was damaged though! No, it's the the one for the gauge. I pulled it off last night and replaced it. Drivers side rear of the head. I got excited when I saw it thinking that I found the problem. Unfortunately it went from reading nothing to pegged. I'm wondering maybe bad sensor? If the ground was bad it should've caused the sensor to peg with the old sensor in, right?
I would think so. It's funny because my sensor is smaller and has a single post. My Jeep is a 91 so I have no idea. Que might have some idea about the difference. Any chance that the wire/wires may have chaffed somewhere?
Xatten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #41
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

By disconnecting it the guage should go full hot by shorting it should go to 0. Ground the wire for the sensor to any point nearby that is a good ground. The needle should go to cold.
yjgaugespecs-1-.jpg

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #42
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had it backwards.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #43
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'll check the readings when I get home. When I plugged the new sender in it pegged hot, I disconnected the sender and checked and was pegged cold. I love electrical problems.
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bad or wrong sending unit.
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #45
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Update.....so I took back the new sensor to advanced auto. Found out that even though their computers said I got the best one for the vehicle it was not an OE part. Go figure! Got a new sending unit installed, gauge did not peg. As I was waiting for the jeep to warm up.....it sputtered and died. Now it won't stay running. I think the fuel pump might've gone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.