Would these symptoms indicate a bad fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Would these symptoms indicate a bad fuel pump

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Would these symptoms indicate a bad fuel pump

1995 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. Multiport Fuel Injection.
The jeep started and made it to the end of my driveway and then stalled. There doesn't seem to be any fuel present when checking the valve on the fuel rail. (No, it's not out of gas)
I am assuming the fuel pump is in the gas tank, and with the key turned on, the fuel should shoot out the valve when depressing it.
Is there a fuel pump shut off on the jeep, similar to most cars that can be reset with a button in the trunk.
If it does turn out to be the fuel pump, is it a job a shade tree mechanic could handle in the garage.

gary1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
jblockhead

I think you are correct. maybe the fuel pump didn't come on when you first started to go down your driveway, you just used to rest of fuel that was in the rail and lines. A good way to check for the pump working is to hear it energize(sounds like a hum in the tank) when you turn the key on. If not, then check for power to the pump, or you can just use a rubber mallet and hit on the bottom of the tank as someone tries to start it. Jeep doesn't have a shut off switch, sorry on that one. Removing the tank is easy, i don't think you need to raise the it at all.
[COLOR=Black]()_) ()_)---)_)[/COLOR]
92 YJ Red
Bestop Halftop, VDP sound wedges, Body lift
2 inch shackles, 33" Firestone Destination M/T
jblockhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That could also be a clogged fuel line or fuel filter. I would check to see that you are getting juice to pump and if you are change the fuel filter next.
Unread 08-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i'm not sure about a 95 but on my 90 there is a fuel pump test wire in the engine compartment. mine is a red wire on the pass fire wall. It has a black connector on it.next to it ther is a post to connect it to you. if you connect this wire the fuel pump will kick on with the key in the on position but not started. before i knew what mine was i plugged it in and when i turned off my truck it kepped running because the fuel pump would not shut off.
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #5
drew2000
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think there is a rollover switch on our jeeps.

You can test your fuel pressure by hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Should be in the mid 30's IIRC. Also, you can test your fuel pressure regulator while you are there.

Dropping the tank is the only hard part about replacing the fuel pump. I consider dropping the tank to be a royal pain in the a$$, but it seems to come easier to others.

Drew
Unread 08-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Definatley try your filter first. I went to leave Jersey a couple weeks ago and made it 100 ft from my dads driveway and broke down. THe jeep just died. Started it up, it lasted 2 seconds, and died again. Decided to try the cheap fix first, and sapped the filter. She started and choked for a minute. I cranked her again and she started right up. No problem since. Definately try the cheap fix first.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
paintguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
Definatley try your filter first. I went to leave Jersey a couple weeks ago and made it 100 ft from my dads driveway and broke down. THe jeep just died. Started it up, it lasted 2 seconds, and died again. Decided to try the cheap fix first, and sapped the filter. She started and choked for a minute. I cranked her again and she started right up. No problem since. Definately try the cheap fix first.

I concur ^ always start simple.
paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.