Would these shocks be long enough for 2.5in lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Would these shocks be long enough for 2.5in lift

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Would these shocks be long enough for 2.5in lift

Hi folks!

I am at crossroads of sorts and I am trying to figure out the best route to go in my case and I was hoping some of you more experienced in suspension setup would be able to help me out.

Few months ago I found that my stock shocks were completely shot. I decided to go with something cheap and somewhat decent jut so that I can get the jeep back on all four.

Now I want to get a suspension lift. At this point all I want is 2.5in to avoid dealing with SYE pinion angle etc. I have been looking into Rubicon Express military style leaf springs that would give me the 2.5in lift but I wanted to see if the shocks I purchased to replace the stocks would be able to fit in without issues.

The shocks I have are all Skyjacker:
Front: H7055 Collapsed 13.54; Extended 22.75; Stroke 9.20
Rear: H7081 Collapsed 12.07; Extended 19.07; Stroke 7

I looked at the SkyJacker kit 2.5in parts just to see the difference in sizes from the same company and I saw the following in it, which didn't seem like much:
Front: H7056 Collapsed 14.54; Extended 24.75; Stroke 10.21
Rear: H7023 Collapsed 13.71; Extended 22.58; Stroke 8.875

Here's the specs from the RE 2.5in lift kit which seems like the shocks are even longer and have roughly 4 in difference from the ones I have:
Front: RXT2611 Rubicon Twin-Tube Shock 26.5/15.5 S/L
Rear: RXT2210 Rubicon Twin-Tube Shock 22.5/13.5 L/L

Do you guys think I can continue to use the current shocks without worrying too much about bottoming/topping the shock out? Mind you I don't do hardcore off-roading and I am willing to keep it this way till the shocks I have run their course. I just really don't want to have to dump them after only using them for 2-3 months.

After they start going out I will get a set of RE shocks to go with the lift but for now I was hoping that I can continue to use the ones I already have.

What do you guys think? Am I going to have issues with the lengths of the ones I have now and a RE 2.5in leafs?

Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: I guess the question would be more about the shocks topping out than bottoming out.

atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I guess another alternative would be to let the shocks run their course with the current leaf springs.. I am hearing chatter from them though and i am pretty sure the bushings are shot (they are the original stockers) which means that i would at least have to replace them and i was trying o avoid the pain of taking the old ones out..
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

With the Jeep just sitting there, measure the distance between bump stop to axle (BumpDist). Then measure the distance between bolts of the shock as it sits (BoldDist).

Buy a shock that has a compressed length of BoltDist-(BumpDist+1/2"). This will make the bump stop be the axle compress limit (with 1/2" to spare). The droop you get is just what it is, since the primary concern is not having the shock be the compress limit. If you want more droop, move the mount points up or down to make the BoltDist longer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.