Would a newer tranny work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Would a newer tranny work?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
cesarcal1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Would a newer tranny work?

Ok so I am in the process of looking for a replacement tranny for my Jeep. I have found older and newer trannys along with TC. My question is if it came from a 4cyl and the transfer case comes with it what years will bolt up without having to replace the clutch. Mind you I would be using whatever MC/ slave setup is being used on the replacement tranny. The reason I ask is I found a tranny/ tc combo from a 1988 and also one from a 1994 but am unsure if there would be any problems bolting up. the older one obviously has the internal slave and the newer the external. The person withthe newer one would throw in the MC and clutch so am unsureif anything else would be needed to bolt up.

cesarcal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
willj20
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Go with the one from the 94. External slave set up makes it super sweet. As far as clutch disc pressure plate there pretty much the same part number from 88 to 02. Just make sure you get all the parts for the external slave setup. Almost forgot any ax-5 from a Yj 88 up to 02 will fit without any problems. Don't know about T/C though.
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

as long as the transfercase is bolted to the transmission it will work fine. The differences are in the input shaft and since its all together then it wont matter.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.