Would like some opinions on this one please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Would like some opinions on this one please.

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
zacbrown

Would like some opinions on this one please.

http://www.bmwofreading.com/detail-1...d-7459703.html

Have not seen or driven. Just checking to see if the price is fair. Thanks

zacbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It would be hard for a stock YJ to be worth $6,700 in my area, especially a 4 cyl
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can probably talk em down. Mine went up by a bunch when I brought it up here from Cali simply because it was a clean southern jeep. The PO had it booked at 4500 in LA, my insurance guy up here (Buffalo NY) says 6500.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
zacbrown

would you steer clear of a 4 cylinder?
zacbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacbrown View Post
If you want to wheel it hard yeah get the 6-cylinder instead. Otherwise for light wheeling or DD I think the 4-cyl is fine. The 6-cyl is definitely a price premium.
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

in Texas that would be about 3,000 ~ 3,500
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

depends on if you intend to do any upgrading to make it more capeable offroad. The transmission behind the 4 cyl is notoriously weak and short lived, even on road.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would (sorry all u bangers. lol)! Night and day between the two. The Jeep looks nice and the mileage is a plus, but again, stealerships will detail the thing out and looks can be deceiving. Do a KBB search and punch in dealer trade in value. This will get you in the ball park of what they paid for it in a trade in... and prolly somewhat less at that. Then offer them a tad over that. That is IF you want a banger.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I could see it going for $4,200. They're selling you on smoke and mirrors crap. "Awesome sport wheels" Really, the cheap stock steel wheels? Their whole ad irks me, but it does look real clean, I'd want to look under it though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
in Texas that would be about 3,000 ~ 3,500
Big difference between Texas and Pennsylvania tho. Up northeast here, the price tends to have more to do with the body and less to do with anything else.
That's why clean southern trucks are worth a few grand more up here. There are dealerships in Buffalo that do nothing but bring up clean cars and trucks and they make absolutely crazy money doing it.

That's prolly what this dealer is doing, and he's already marked it up. So I would pass on it.

Unread 08-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
http://www.bmwofreading.com/detail-1...d-7459703.html

Have not seen or driven. Just checking to see if the price is fair. Thanks
Even though it comes with a hard top and a soft top... their price is *ahem* high. Sure it only has around 80k miles on it, but its also 15 years old. Timatoe is right, $4,000 would be more like it.

For me, though, since its a 4cyl, $3,000. Why? Because its a 4cyl.

You could get a nice TJ for the same price point and same milage. On a side note, it does appear clean, but their price is way high for the year/engine size.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would check ebay or craiglist instead. Private sellers. I would never go thru a dealer unless it was a brand-new 2011. Mainly cuz you'll get screwed on the used ones by a dealer. See what I said earlier, it looks like this guy has already marked it up.
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
I would check ebay or craiglist instead. Private sellers. I would never go thru a dealer unless it was a brand-new 2012. Mainly cuz you'll get screwed on the used ones by a dealer. See what I said earlier, it looks like this guy has already marked it up.
Almost agree 100%.

Find a nice old lady who doesn't use her jeep very often and is on the fence about selling it. Then convince with a wad of cash. That's what I did with both the xj and then the yj.
Unread 08-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #14
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd steer clear of any auto 4cyl if you have any plans of getting on an expressway or even pulling out into traffic.

Clean, but I'd say its on the high side for sure. Like it was stated, that price puts you easily into tj territory...
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Almost agree 100%.

Find a nice old lady who doesn't use her jeep very often and is on the fence about selling it. Then convince with a wad of cash. That's what I did with both the xj and then the yj.
Yep, about like what I did with my YJ. My brother had left it sitting in a desert for 5 yrs. I knew that it would be worth more up here no matter what they valued it at down in Cali. Cash talked, and 10 days later a semi truck pulled up with a jeep on it. The value of my YJ went up 2x more than it cost to ship it.
But yer *never* gonna get a deal like that from a dealer, is my point. And this dealer in his link is taking every bit he can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.