is it worth the time/money please read - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > is it worth the time/money please read

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
Buddha
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's 20 years old and it's a Jeep. If you need something that you don't have to work on and still want it to be reliable I think you've answered your own question.

I bought my '93 Jeep in March for $5,000 - which is the going rate where I live for what I got. Since that time I have spent more time working on it than driving it. I have close to $10,000 in it now (thanks to the rearend locking up and causing major drivetrain damage) but I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. I love the fact that it's simple enough that I can work on it, I can usually find parts for it, and they are normally pretty cheap. Would I take off and go to Florida in it? - not a chance. But it's my Jeep and that's all there is to it.

The difference between me and you is that I'm 51, I have another vehicle to drive when the Jeep is feeling poorly. I'm on my own and not reliant on my parents for help with vehicles and the like so I make my own decisions. One day (hopefully you won't have to wait until you're 51) you will be in my position and you can do like me and keep your Jeep even when it makes absolutely no sense to do so. Until then, best to go with what Dad says and get something you have the means to operate. I'm pretty sure they'll still be making Jeeps when you have the means to afford one. If not, maybe I'll be dead and you can take a stab at buying mine from one of my grandkids. Good luck - study hard - do what's right.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of threads on here and it's amazing the percentage of problems that wind up being caused by something the owner has accidentally done to the Jeep while working on it.

Moral to the story: If you moved it, unscrewed it, unbolted it, hammered on it, wiped it off, re-wired or replaced it - Check there first![/COLOR]
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
jheck74
2008 JK Wrangler 

I totally agree with Buddha. I have a 91 yj, and I am always fixing something on it. But, that keeps me from tinkering with my daily driver and breaking it somehow. I really love my jeep, but if someone offered me enough money for it, I would find another project to work on.
jheck74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
jmmorgan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91wranglerwilly View Post
these are all very good points. and i was gonna use it to work with and tow with my dad owns a contractoring business so he always needs something moved but idk i gotta make a few calls to see if i can get the help to fix it
Try posting up in one of the Wheeling Neighborhoods from where you are at on this site, and asking for help. Offer food and/or some beer for the time involved and I am sure someone will help you out. I know I would if you were in Texas.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a '91 and ya'll are freaking jenksin me right now!
Quit talking this crap about them, just after this thread started my rad started leaking from the side.
Ya'll keep talking and my motor mIght just lock up.
SO SHUTIT

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.