is it worth the time/money please read - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > is it worth the time/money please read

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

is it worth the time/money please read

so when i came home from vacation my neighbor had said he would do my brakes. well he didnt. so he talked to me and my dad and he said that the front universals were bad i needed disks for the front and my transfer case skid and frame around it were starting to rust. he didnt say how much it would cost to fix it and how hard it would be. so my dad being the guy he is said we ll look .

well to cut the story short. my dad dosent want me going and spending a lot of my tie and money on fixing it but on my point of view its my firs car and realy dont wanna sell it. i would try to get a dodge 2500 cummins with a plow though so. but i already have a lot of time and money into already

my question here is how much would all this cost
would it be worth fixing
i wanna keep it so badly but you know how parents are
so any help and opinions are greatly appreciated

91wranglerwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You should try searching the forum here for all those repairs. There is alot of good info that can help you do the repairs yourself (assuming you have access to tools and a place to do them). It all depends on if you have the time, $, and if you really want to get your hands dirty I can tell you I have done stuff to my jeep that I never would have thought I could do - thanks to folks here at the forum helping me out. Good luck, Clint
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91wranglerwilly View Post
so when i came home from vacation my neighbor had said he would do my brakes. well he didnt. so he talked to me and my dad and he said that the front universals were bad i needed disks for the front and my transfer case skid and frame around it were starting to rust. he didnt say how much it would cost to fix it and how hard it would be. so my dad being the guy he is said we ll look .

well to cut the story short. my dad dosent want me going and spending a lot of my tie and money on fixing it but on my point of view its my firs car and realy dont wanna sell it. i would try to get a dodge 2500 cummins with a plow though so. but i already have a lot of time and money into already

my question here is how much would all this cost
would it be worth fixing
i wanna keep it so badly but you know how parents are
so any help and opinions are greatly appreciated
The front u-joints are like $30 or 40 each. You could do them same time you do the brakes. Not sure how much new rotors are. But I am sure you could do the whole job yourself for like $200 or less. Save a ton of money and have the old rotors turned, most shops will do that for you for $25 each if you bring the rotors in to them. Only time you would need new rotors is if the old ones are too far gone. Brake jobs and u-jointsare easy

There's an old saying about stuff like this: You can spend either your time, or you can spend your money.

It's your choice. But if you want to keep it then I would spend the time.
My neighbor is a mechanic, and he spent the last 2 months on a chevy blazer for his wife - cuz he chose to spend his time instead of his money.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanksfor the help my dad is still set on me not fixig it just doing the brakes then selling it. i do have acsess to a lift and all the tools to do it. and i have the rive to do it . but you know parents. i dont know im kinda set in the middle. and my neighbor made all this sound a lot worst. my dad heard from him you have to pull the axles to do the us and he freaked.

i still could use other opinions
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep brake parts are pretty cheap.. Find a friend that knows how to replace everything and have them show you. 1 hour job. Parts to replace everything front and rear for $100.

There are plenty of places to buy after market skid plates, Undercover Fabrication is a good one, or find a stock one locally.

If you can't do your own work or don't want to a 20 year old vehicle is not for you; it will be a money pit.

BTW, why two threads about the exact same thing?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanksfor the help my dad is still set on me not fixig it just doing the brakes then selling it. i do have acsess to a lift and all the tools to do it. and i have the rive to do it . but you know parents. i dont know im kinda set in the middle. and my neighbor made all this sound a lot worst. my dad heard from him you have to pull the axles to do the us and he freaked.

i still could use other opinions
Ya know, I can do the joints myself on a saturday afternoon. Your neighbor just meant pulling the shafts out, not pulling the entire dang axle out from under it LOL. Your dad is kinda nervous I guess - its part of being a parent who cares.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The frame rust you would need to send a pic of. The brakes are routine maintenance and easily under 100 for pads and rotors and less than an hour to do yourself even if you are a novice. The ujoints are a little harder but should be doable. When you get the axles out to do the ujoints you take them to your local parts store and they will press the old ones out and put the new ones in.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...a-30-a-360209/

If you had someone do the work it would be about 3 hours labor and less than $200 in parts.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

u joints are easy, just make sure you dont drag the axle shaft on the bottom of the tube upon reinstall bc it will put sand/grit inside the front diff, and dont force them in or you could damage the inner seal.
u joints will cost you 15-25$ a piece
rotors are 25-40$ a piece
nobody could give any judgement to the rust without you posting some pics

check out rockauto.com for any parts, they have some great prices
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the 2 threads were on accident i wsa trying to find places who carried aftermarket skids for the t case. but thanks for the help
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thsts all true but my our other concerns are that its a jeep if one thing breaks whats the next thing to break. and how long till something major happens.
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got my jeep when I was 16 and it was in good shape and didn't really require much maintenance. However, I did all the work on it myself and everything was learn as I go with helpful advice from my dad. He would always watch me work for a minute then make a suggestion that would make my life 10 times easier. Something as simple as unbolting something small to get access to the part I was replacing. Now I'm 26 with the same jeep and 301K miles.

I know enough to get by now but I also had the drive to work on my jeep and learn. It really didn't cost much to maintain it. Most of the cost now comes from me wanting to mod it.

If you enjoy wrenching and learning then I say keep it.

As far as brakes go, the rotors are $20 each at Autozone, calipers $18 with a core for each, pads are $20 or so. So like the guys said, you could have a completely new front brake system for $100 and a little time.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

o dont get me wrong i love working on my jeep and i love having it. i love wrenching on it and its been a great learning experience but i ve already got 2000$s into it and about 30 -35 hours worth of work into in now. i would love to keep it and i would love to have it with me to give to my kids but i may need a more realiable truck to work with and commute to school. i dl im still kinda on the fence. ill try to get a second opinion on the situation but for right now im out of a jeep til i figure out what i wanna do
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thsts all true but my our other concerns are that its a jeep if one thing breaks whats the next thing to break. and how long till something major happens.
Everytime something breaks, never fix it.

upgrade it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
o dont get me wrong i love working on my jeep and i love having it. i love wrenching on it and its been a great learning experience but i ve already got 2000$s into it and about 30 -35 hours worth of work into in now. i would love to keep it and i would love to have it with me to give to my kids but i may need a more realiable truck to work with and commute to school. i dl im still kinda on the fence. ill try to get a second opinion on the situation but for right now im out of a jeep til i figure out what i wanna do
My 3rd year of college gas prices went through the roof ($4+/gal) so I bought a beater Civic to drive to work/school. I paid $200 for it and put another $200 in it. Just a thought though. However I did have a few late Sunday nights getting my jeep back together to go to school/work the next day.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

these are all very good points. and i was gonna use it to work with and tow with my dad owns a contractoring business so he always needs something moved but idk i gotta make a few calls to see if i can get the help to fix it

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.