is it worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > is it worth it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
mudmann

is it worth it?

I have just purchased an 1992 YJ 4 cyl. 5 speed. I have just put 30 inch tires on it but am wondering, is this worth "restoring"? There is alittle rust spots here and there but nothing more then under body road salt rust. It is stock other then the tires, a aftermarket hard top and plow. but is a 4 cyl. like this worth making a trail/ daily driver on a 15/16 year old's budget? please help me decide.

mudmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

nobody can answer that but you.

i see no point in "restoring" any vehicle that isn't a collectors item or any vehicle you plan on abusing..... but no reason that you couldn't clean it up a bit, add some lift, protection, and stuff and have fun.

you have to decide your budget and priorities....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

well, frame off restoration also wrings out all the potential future problems that would arise and possibly leave you stranded.

ofcourse, if any vehicle is worth restoring, its a Jeep for sure (IMO)

its up to you whether or not its worth restoring. I personally would say no if its still driveable but has a few minor problems, then drive it till it dies and get all your worth out of it before taking it apart. If it runs like utter crap and everything seems to be falling off/apart, then it may be due for a resto, or atleast a full drivetrain rebuild and good cleanup.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.