Is it worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it worth it?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineKrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach Sale

Unread 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Kuasimodem

Is it worth it?

I've been looking at this 89 YJ sitting at a local repair shop for sale while driving by every day going to work. Today curiousity got the best of me and I had to stop and take a closer look.

The side I have been seeing, looks pretty good

Duals???

Cooooooooooooooool! Yes folks, that's a TPI 327 V8 under the hood

The tires are 33x12.50/15 BFG AT's with good tread but a little problem, they're getting pretty weather checked.

Now the bad news:

Stock engine was 2.5L and the stock 5-speed and NP-231 are in place, no SYE. It also has the stock D35 rear and D30 front axles. He's selling it because he doesn't want his teenage son to tear it up

Asking price is $10,000.

Is it worth the 10K? How much would it take to put some real axles under it? Will the stock transmission and TC hold up to wheeling?

BTW - The engine has been very cleanly installed, nothing looks cobbled together except maybe a little cleanup of a sensor wiring on the driverside head.

White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
christeve jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely the trans and rear end won't be good for any heavy wheeling. Look into a 8.8 rear and an AX15 trans. Both are ezey finds in a junk yard. Check out this site: http://car-part.com/ . The trans will come from a late 89 and up YJ and the 8.8 from a ford explorer 97- 2000 +/-. Good luck.
Unread 08-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

def not worth the 10k. maybe 7 or 8 around here.
Green Jeep Club Member #172
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member # 23
Green 1995 4 Banger
If only my pocket was as green as my Jeep :D
yesterdaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Kuasimodem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaylight
def not worth the 10k. maybe 7 or 8 around here.
Yeah, I thought it was a bit high too, considering that I can get something like this for $5K around here.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuasimodem
Yeah, I thought it was a bit high too, considering that I can get something like this for $5K around here.
thats a great deal, nice tire tread left, et. i'd go for it, except its a renegade.
Green Jeep Club Member #172
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member # 23
Green 1995 4 Banger
If only my pocket was as green as my Jeep :D
yesterdaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

just get an sm465 4 speed tranny remanufactured unit ($500) and an 8.8... new tires and bam!

i'd offer $7k or so... considering you would dump another $1200 into it once you got it not including tires.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.