Won't start till she's floored - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Won't start till she's floored

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
NMYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Won't start till she's floored

Hello all-
Just got my second YJ 93 - 242 5sp with 200+
Every morning she has been starting right up. But more and more I'm finding that she won't turn over till the gas pedal is floored. Then it smells like she's flooded.

I'm thinking a nice tune up (wich was on the way any way) plugs, wires, cap, roter, maybe crankshaft positioning sensor.

But just wondering if anyone has experienced the same or if it maybe anything else?

Thanks!

NMYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Sounds like leaking injectors flooding it. Thats where I would start looking..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. It's the injector i believe.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your fault codes:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/

Does it make any difference if it has been running for a while and has warmed up and you go to restart or is cold/warm start the same dificult time starting?

Basic maintenance; tune up plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter. Clean the IAC and throttlebody:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/q...-body-1262267/

Possible real issues would be fuel: Run a fuel pressure test by hooking a guage to the fuel rail:
ignition on 31psi, running with vacuum line to the pressure regulator disconnected 39, turn the ignition off and it should maintain pressure above 20 psi for 20 minutes.

Bad temp sensor (Near tstat housing) can be checked with a meter.

Bad TPS can also be checked with a meter.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

My reasoning for saying leaking injectors, is when there is too much fuel in the cylinders, you will need to clear some of it out. Pressing the gas petal does not make fuel squirt in like a carb, but allows more air to get in and clear the fuel to air ratio back to a point it will fire. Pulling fuel rail and cleaning each injector is easy enough. There is a good write up on here on how to do it.
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pressure test should show an injector issue. Hey Jeepsr4me, I dont have that link. Can you post it? I would like to add it to my collection of bookmarks.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Jeepsr4me

Sorry, I dont have the link, would just have to search for it. But I have seen it referenced a few times.
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
NMYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for advice everyone! This gives me some stuff to do this weekend!
NMYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.