Won't start after warm up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Won't start after warm up

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
starkey

Won't start after warm up

Got a 90' yj and after a few miles then shut engine off for few minutes it won't start. Any ideas? I thought I had fixed the problem but didn't test it long enough.

starkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkey
Got a 90' yj and after a few miles then shut engine off for few minutes it won't start. Any ideas? I thought I had fixed the problem but didn't test it long enough.
Perhaps the motor is flooding?
My Jeep does the same thing. When cold it will start up fine, shut it off and it starts back up fine, shut it off and let it sit five minutes and it won't. Trick in mine is to hold the pedal down to the floor. Probably not good for it but until I figure out the problem (I think I need a fuel pressure reg with my MC2100) it's going to have to do.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i had a similiar problem in my 89 it was an ASD relay auto shutdown relay
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_) only in a JEEP
sofixj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
paintguy

could be the coil is going bad -- usually when a coil is crapping the bed, it runs and starts when it is cold and once the coil heats-up it shuts down and you have to wait for it to cool-off before it will refire. Also, the ignition module (under the coolant overflow bottle) can cause it to not start. Keep us posted
Unread 03-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
the dit
1989 YJ Wrangler 

could be vapor lock. Try adding some sort of heat sink to the metal fuel line, like a bunch of aluminum foil.
the dit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
starkey

I took it to the jeep dealership in Glendale AZ to have it tested and they say the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. I thought I heard a little hissing when I shut the truck off. I had replaced that about six months ago, they said don't buy the Checker Auto parts. Now I'm waiting on a regulator to come in, it will take five days to get. $109.99.
starkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
paintguy

Quote:
I took it to the jeep dealership in Glendale AZ to have it tested and they say the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. I thought I heard a little hissing when I shut the truck off. I had replaced that about six months ago, they said don't buy the Checker Auto parts. Now I'm waiting on a regulator to come in, it will take five days to get. $109.99.
that must mean you have a 4 banger with the tbi -- in the mean time while waiting for your fpr to arrive, if you want to start her and it doesn't want to start, turn the key 'on, 'off', 'on', 'off', 'on' and then try to fire her -- this will send more fuel and may help it start until you fix it. Keep us posted on your progress.
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
paintguy

Quote:
that must mean you have a 4 banger with the tbi -- in the mean time while waiting for your fpr to arrive, if you want to start her and it doesn't want to start, turn the key 'on, 'off', 'on', 'off', 'on' and then try to fire her -- this will send more fuel and may help it start until you fix it. Keep us posted on your progress.

(I used to live in Peoria -- Peoria and 77th Ave).
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
ramburger

whaen its warmed up and wont start, just put the skinny pedal to the floor until it turns over.
ramburger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.