Won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Won't start

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Won't start

Very vague title. I'll explain.

I've had issues starting this beast recently. A few days ago, I went to start it and it just "clicked". We all know that sound. I said great, guess I left something on. Hooked up the booster cables to a friends car, then went to start it.
Click click click click. My friend said "Whoa! Stop! I see sparks!" I had him start it while I observed. SPARK! It came from the cable attached to the solenoid and starter motor. I noticed that it worked it's way loose but then found I couldn't tighten it. It had somewhat melted the nut to the post due to the arcing from recent starts. So it had acted like an arc welder. With some wiggling around I was able to get it started however until I was able to drive it home.
Once I was home I took a closer look. I was able to pull the cable completely off the post because the eyelet had melted as well, turning into a hook. So I said OK. I'll drive to Autozone and get a new cable. I re-attached the cable as best as I could but when I went to turn it over, nothing happened. Not even a click this time. Confused I wiggled the cable some more. Still nothing. Upon closer inspection, I noticed there was a crack going through the plastic body of the starter solenoid. Time for a new starter solenoid, right?
So I got a new starter solenoid and a thicker cable for even better connection. I got everything re-attached to the new solenoid. Thinking it was gonna start right away, I was sorely disappointed when it didn't. Nothing happened again.
So it's not the solenoid, it's brand new. I re-checked all the connections. Everything is tight. All the ground cables are tight.
Is it the starter fuse? Where is it located? Did all the jacking around with the sparks flying around everywhere fry something else? I'm at the end of my resources. Help please.

Unread 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sure sounds to me like you blew a fuse somewhere. Hopefully you didn't straight up blow a cell in the battery from all the voltage spikes. Did you ever determine if the something had been left on to drain the battery? Maybe the battery really is dead.

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the battery is fine. After replacing the solenoid and main cable, I was able to start the engine by doing a direct connection from + post on battery to the opposite end of the solenoid and it started right up. I checked the fuse under the dash and it was fine.
So, mystery is still unsolved.
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On a 1992 YJ with the 2.5 engine, there is a fusible link going from the starter. This is what you have blown. The fusible link looks like one of the small wires coming off of the solenoid. Trace them. Take the wire looms off and follow the wires up. I guarantee you one of them is melted through. You can buy replacements at NAPA. They are not expensive.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

On the 87 4.2, there are four fusible links, and they are all fine. Thank you for your suggestion.
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, I can't keep starting it using the Jumper cables, it's eventually going to screw something up. I've already got a bit of molten metal stuck to the teeth of one end of my cable because of this.
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nevermind ya'll. I fixed the issue. I didn't have it screwed tight enough against the firewall, which provided the ground. I tightened it and bam, it fired right up. Thanks for the help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.