It Won't Start! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > It Won't Start!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
lynnosler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It Won't Start!

My jeep and I are having a disagreement, hoping someone can help me win this argument!

It will turn over, but not start. Plugs, wires and distributor are good, it isn't getting spark. I replaced the ignition coil today, and it still won't start. What else can I check?

The fuel pump is engaging and has a new filter. Next?

lynnosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnosler View Post
My jeep and I are having a disagreement, hoping someone can help me win this argument!

It will turn over, but not start. Plugs, wires and distributor are good, it isn't getting spark. I replaced the ignition coil today, and it still won't start. What else can I check?

The fuel pump is engaging and has a new filter. Next?
Well Lynn, how did the problem start? It was running and shut off, or just one day you went out and it wouldn't start? There are some pretty good threads for troubleshooting no start situations, I will see if I can dig up a good one. How about your grounds, have you checked them? You can always do the simple unplug cps, then plug it back in, if it starts that is usually where your issue is. I think that is usually related to loose connectors. Check for codes. You know how? http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes
Unread 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
lynnosler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I got in it one day and pulled it out of the garage, parked it in front of my house, and after that it wouldn't start. Ran fine till that point. Just wouldn't start.
lynnosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnosler View Post
Well, I got in it one day and pulled it out of the garage, parked it in front of my house, and after that it wouldn't start. Ran fine till that point. Just wouldn't start.
Here is a good step by step for troubleshooting:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/je...-help-1092376/

anything else you can tell us that might help? Sounds like you have worked from the plugs back to the coil and have no output there, correct?
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Do you own a noid light set? If not, would you be willing to spend $20 to buy a set? They're essentially fast-responding test lights with pins you can plug into various connectors for. I have this set here;

You can plug a noid light into where the coil would normally be. When you crank, it will flash, indicating it's getting the proper signals to the coil. You can also use them in place of injectors (to verify injectors are getting signal) and various valves.

What this will tell us is if the problem is in the coil/ignition/dizzy/wires, or if from the ECU/Power supply itself.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.