Wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
PoppaDucky
1997 ZJ 

Wont start

You guys have been a lot of help in the past, so I hope you can help me figure this one out. Last night I drove the jeep to a friends. When I came back out and went to start the jeep it turned over a few times and then it just made a click noise and stopped. I tried again and just got a click. Me and my friend pushed the jeep to a hill and I popped the clutch and it fired right up. I drove straight to my other friends that I was staying the night with and noticed the battery gauge was in the red, below where the 8 is. This morning when I was getting ready to leave, it didn't make any noise so I decided to examine the terminals and they were slightly gummed up. I cleaned them and discovered my positive clamp was all the way eaten through on one side. After a trip to the parts store I replaced the "neverstart" battery and the terminal clamp but I'm back to the clicking noise. The gauge still is in the red. Any ideas?

PoppaDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
PoppaDucky
1997 ZJ 

I'm assuming it's the starter. I've hit it with hammers and a tire iron and it still just clicks though. Also, since I swapped the ax15 in from a 95, would I still get an 87 starter or a 95? if thats what it is...
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
PoppaDucky
1997 ZJ 

Well I pulled the starter and went to the parts store to get it tested. He ran three tests and it worked perfectly every time. He said that most likely something was wrong with the wiring. In the morning I'm going to trace the wires and check for loose connections or broken wires. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the battery is dieing why are you looking at the starter? Start the jeep and disconnect the battery and see if it stays running. If you have a voltmeter, read the alternator output.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
PoppaDucky
1997 ZJ 

The problem is that I can't start it unless I push start it. When I had the starter tested, it worked right immediately. When it was in the jeep, it just made a click sound and did nothing. I'm not sure how accurate my gauges are other than the speedometer, but I am pretty sure the battery is fine now because it did the same thing just battery as it did when it was hooked up to my 200amp jump starter. I am thinking that maybe the starter isn't getting enough voltage
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are just getting the click then check the high current lead into the starter. You can jump past it by using jump start cables. See if it turns over. Check the battery grounds and the power cable going to the starter. You may have corrosion in the cable to the starter.
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dude check the alternator if it's not charging.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
PoppaDucky
1997 ZJ 

Okay, I was tracing wires and ended up having to fix one that was almost entirely cut through. Nothing changed so I decided to try cleaning anywhere they made contact. I began to loosen one of nuts on whatever this thing is and the whole thing broke off. What is this and could it be my starter problem?
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Starter relay. Take it to the parts store. It looks like you found your problem!
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
PoppaDucky
1997 ZJ 

Hooked the new one up and she fired right up! Thanks for the help Que!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.