wont restart after reaches temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wont restart after reaches temp

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
xboardr311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wont restart after reaches temp

i have a 95 yj with a 2.5 in it. the other day i was driving down to the beach, stopped to get beer and when i went to restart it wont start back up just kept turning over. i mean atleast i already had the beer and was close to the beach so i wasnt all that pissed. anyway when i went back later after it cooled down it started right up. was driving for maybe 15min and it started acting up. felt like i was running out of fuel but that wasnt the case i had 1/4 of a tank. then today it started right up when it was cold ran it for 30min shut it off and same thing. wouldnt start, just kept turning over. let it cool and bam starts right up again. im puzzled. fuel fliter? o2 sensor? some other type of sensor? need some help gotta get this thing running.
thanks for any help, chas

xboardr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty typical for a bad crank position sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

sounds like a CPS to me.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
xboardr311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just cleaned the cps it was covered in oil but its still doing the same thing. should i buy a whole new sensor or could it possibly be something else?
Unread 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check to see if the computer throws any codes yet? Might be a good place to start.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmith1174 View Post
Did you check to see if the computer throws any codes yet? Might be a good place to start.
Even if the light does not come on, check them.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
xboardr311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

havent tried that yet but let me add that i just had it running drove a few miles pulled into my driveway and let it run for a little and it just died go to start back up and nothing. still think cps or could it be fuel pump or fuel filter
Unread 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Dewster196
1995 YJ Wrangler 

xboardr311,

have you done any of the popular mods to the 2.5 like the 4.0 throttle body, ford injectors?

I also have this problem when it is hot, but in my case it acts as though it is flooded. After I let it sit it starts up runs rough for a while and then smoothes out. Didn't notice it until after I did the 19lb injectors. I recently opened the gap on my plugs from .035-.040 and am trying that.
Unread 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I for one do not believe this symptom is due to a bad CPS. A bad CPS will cause a not start condition period, or an intermittent shut down, typically when the CPS goes it is typically a no go condition and a related code will be stored that can be checked vis the CEL lamp. Anyways, it would certainly not be related to the engine temp. First guess would be the CTS, coolant temp sensor located on the thermostat housing. When these symptoms arise, try cooling off this sensor, or unplug it all together. You can try cooling it off with a splash of water. Are there any codes stored? Also be warned that a 1/4 tank of fuel is dangerously close to being empty on a YJ. When my gauge reads 1/4 it is really empty and causes the engine to cut out on turns. Do not trust your gas gauge at 1/4 or below.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
xboardr311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i havent done any mods to the engine because i wanna put either a diesel or small block in it. ill try everything you guys say but let me add another thing. as i went to start it up before it was missin and running real rough. thats why im thinkin fuel problem or possibly something else. i still dont get why it will start up prefectly fine when cold, but when its hot it just cranks and will just stall eventually. now i could see why it could be the cts and not the cps. just confused all around, real frustrating also. thanks for all the help i really appreciate it
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
xboardr311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i lied it is throwing a code check engine but that could be because i killed the battery crankin. its hooked up to the charger right now
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried to interpret the numeric codes thrown by the computer? This is done by turning the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. The check engine light will blink sequences with pauses. Such as 1 flash a short pause then a series of 2 flashes for a engine code of 12. It may throw multiple codes and should finish with 55 as end of codes. Record each code and you can find the interpretation on the internet for each one. This should at least get you started on discovering where the problem lies.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
xboardr311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok, so i checked the code and i got a 12 and 33. 12 is battery disconnect i believe and 33 is an a/c clutch relay circuit. thing is i dont have a/c and anyway i dont think that could cause all these problems. now when then engine is cold and i start it, it runs horrible extremely rough and again will eventually stall
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

12, 33, and 55 are normal codes and nothing to fret about. They should be expected and do not trigger the CEL lamp. That being said,... If the CPS was at fault it should have thrown a code. In light of this, it is not likely the cause of your problems. Again, given that you can differentiate the problem from a cold to a warm engine.... try disconnecting the CTS at the thermostat housing when these symptoms arise and see if she starts. I'm not saying this is the cause, ... just that it should be ruled out.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
xboardr311
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just disconnected the cts started up but ran real rough. so im thinkin its not that. i think im goin in the complete wrong direction. now im thinkin fuel problem. when i start it up it misses and the more fuel i give it the worse it gets. its progressively getting worse. i took it out at about 12 this afternoon and seemed fine ran like it normally does. now i have no clue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.