won't pass emissions 4x4 not engaging. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > won't pass emissions 4x4 not engaging.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
JulianJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

won't pass emissions 4x4 not engaging.

I have a 90' YJ 4.2 I6 that is completely stock. All the vacuum hoses are not dried out and rotted. I've put a new cat converter on it and and completely new exhaust system minus exaust manifold. its running about 600rpm idle. drives fine. the transfer case is fine and when going into 4H or L the front driveshaft turns but theres no power to the front wheels. the vacuum motor on the front axle seems lose i can rotate it. when i got it the blue wire coming from the transfer case was unhooked and the other end coming from the canister under the battery was plugged. I unplugged it and it sucks and i hooked it back up to the blue wire but right when I do this the 4wd light on the dash comes on even if 4wd is not engaged. I'm thinking that replacing the vacuum motor will fix the 4x4 but will it help in emissions at all?

i've gone and tried eveything I know to pass without buying the "it'll pass or double money back deal"
limit on CO: 1.2
Reading: 1.8
The testing guy is very nice and he's trying to figure out what it could be doing and we were chasing down and vacuum leaks but the lines are all there except for the ones that go from the air cleaner to exaust manifold to direct the right air temp when warming up. I can post pictures for anyone willing help any input would greatly appreciated.

JulianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the 4WD vacuum lines are boogered up. Not sure about the cause of the smog fail though.

Check this thread for info on the 4WD vacuum motor hose layout:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...5/#post5427272

Make sure you have everything connected properly and that there are no vacuum leaks. Maybe someone else will jump in and provide some help on the smog problem.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

dont worry next year you get a saffty only $21 , at least i have been saffty only for two years, 88 yj on longisland n.y jeep has to be 20 years old, you might be able to do that also ask them they wont just tell you ,
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
JulianJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What is saffty? I know antique tags we can get down here but there is emissions on every vehicle in the county unless it is 74 or older. Down here you can register a vehicle antique tagged if it is 25 years or older and even then it can only be driven for general transportation on saturday and sunday. The there are other stipulations like you can drive to car events and to get it worked on but not as a daily driver which is bogus. The fine for using your car as a daily driver is five years without being able to register a car as antique.

Is it odd that coming from the vacuum motor on the front axle I have four vacuum lines coming out?
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
JulianJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Whoops. If a car is antique tagged then no theres no emissions but then it can't be a daily driver.
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
evilpersona
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojeep1 View Post
dont worry next year you get a saffty only $21 , at least i have been saffty only for two years, 88 yj on longisland n.y jeep has to be 20 years old, you might be able to do that also ask them they wont just tell you ,
Actually in NY anything that is OBDI is now just safety only. so anything 95 and older.
evilpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a great site that explains all the smog stuff. Reading each section on the test and results will give some ideas of what you are looking for and how to find the fix.

http://www.smogtips.com/functional_inspection.cfm
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
JulianJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks jokerchief462 but I'm still not passing. Some people believe that the lines on the carb for idling could be clogged and I'm beginning to hear that back then when these were new some dealerships recommended expanding the idling lines so they don't get clogged so now I'm just waiting to get another paycheck then I can do more and buy the tools to expand them to I think they suggest 0.03102 or something or just buy new lines. I'll keep ya' updated.
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are noticing fuel drip from the venturi nozzles happening at idle, I would suspect there is crap clogging that circuit. Neither venturi nozzle should be dripping at idle, and both should mist when you give it throttle. If not, then you have a problem.

But in any case, if you think it's something internal to the carb, a simple teardown/cleaning/rebuild would suffice long enough to pass smog (provided that it didn't pass before because the carb was dirty). Rebuilt kits are inexpensive and you don't need any special tools to rebuild the carb. The drilling out of the idle pickup tubes is just the long term solution to the problem of the tubes getting clogged easily.

If you already haven't seen this site, here's a link to the best resource online that explains the OEM 4.2L setup: Adventures Under the Hood

If you are running stock with a functional computer, you'll need to make sure everything is working as it should, otherwise you'll probably not pass.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So if my Jeep is an 87, I dont have to pass emissions? Just double checking cause I have not gotten an inspection due to my exhaust being rotted out. I was gonna pay the guy 100 bucks to pass it. LOL
redbullrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

bump, anyone in the NY area care to chime in
redbullrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
evilpersona
2004 LJ Wrangler 

in ny anything obd1 is not emissions tested anymore. this is what i heard from a mechanic that does inspections. so 95 and earlier
evilpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
JulianJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like Tennessee should follow up on Ny ha. I'll look into venturi nozzle and if its dripping then i'll get back to this.
Unread 09-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
JulianJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No drips. rebuilt the carb also to be safe and tuned it. Seems like it was done not to long ago the needle looked somewhat new and not 20 years old.

Tags
4wd , 4x4 , emission , emissions , vacuum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.