Wont go into gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wont go into gear

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Bds suspension discount

Unread 04-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
prich464
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wont go into gear

Im new to the Jeep family. I just got my first wrangler. its a 95 YJ. for some reason in the morning it sounds like the starter is spinning and not catching. the other thing is sometimes it wont go into gear. 1st or reverse. where should i start.

prich464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
prich464
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i wish that i could give you more information about my jeep but like i said i really dont know much. i am learning as i am going. its a 1995 4 cylinder with a manual 5 speed. and thats pretty much all i know. not much has been done to this jeep. its like im starting from scratch.
prich464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
shagsjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Starter sounds like the bendicts is not throwing out like it should. You could try lightly tapping it with a hammer to see if something is sticking it in. Best bet would be to just replace it. As far as the shifting issue, like you, I'm new to the jeeps and mine does the same thing but with 4th gear mainly. Sometimes it just doesn't want to shift into any gear at all. I dunno much about them so I plan on replacing it, the flywheel, and the clutch.
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For the shifting check your master. If the master or slave is leaking it will be wet on the inside of the firewall behind the clutch pedal and down. Look under the carpet for wetness also.. for the master, and under the slave for the slave leaking. Check your master fluid level first.

The other side of hard shifting is fluid. It does not take much to get water in the tranny, look for a whitish color. Also the fluid may be old, I would replace the fluid first.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.