Wont get out of 4low - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wont get out of 4low

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
ryans93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wont get out of 4low

To start off it has snowed about 3 and a half feet. I was driving some people home on a road that was not plowed very well. The jeep was handling it just fine until I had to turn around. When I went against the tire tracks already in the road I got stuck, so logically I put it in 4low. I got unstuck no problem. But when I went to take it out of low, the knob just moved freely and it would not get out of 4low. I managed to drive home, at a nice 10mph down one of the busiest streets in town. What does this mean when it will not 4low? It drives just fine, I did not hear anything break. Someone told me it might be ice in the shifter, but I think it might be a broken linkage. Has this happened to anyone else?

ryans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You busted your linkage it sounds like... Because the stick moves freely... Crawl under and have a look, it's very common for the linkage rod to pop out of the little rubber bushing that holds the rod into the shift tab. You will have to look to know for sure, have a friend move the shifter around while you are under there so u can see what it is doing.

And it's good u didn't hear anything lol linkage breaks quietly but t-cases can break very loudly (thrown bearing, skipping chain, broken shift fork, case busted in half, rear yoke broke, etc... All of which can be very loud to say the least haha)
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.