Wobble-Wobble!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wobble-Wobble!!!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:00 PM   #1
WranglerYJ94

Wobble-Wobble!!!

I disconnected my front sway bar a few months back to increase my stock off-road performance - - - never had any problems until a few weeks ago, every time i get around and above 55mph or so, there is a nasty fast back & forth shaking of the steering wheel and it feels like i have no control over the steering. if i hit a small bump or pot-hole in the road it shakes the entire jeep very very badly!! sometimes it will even cause my front and rear right tires to hit the curb or left front and rear to go in the lane next to me. please help! when i disconnected my sway bar i just unbolted it from the frame, it is still there. i was not sure how to remove it from the suspension parts.

Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
WranglerYJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:08 PM   #2
RodeoRob

well, you obvisously have what our TJ/XJ buddys commonly refer to as 'death wobble'. You hardly ever see it on leaf sprung vehicles, which has got me wondering, what have you done to your jeep? any recent mods other than removing the swaybar? say mods that effect your steering?

do you still have the front tracbar on out of curiosity? not that you should really need a tracbar to prevent death wobble on a leaf sprung vehicle, but if you don't, you could always put it back and that should fix your problem.

your swaybar should have very little to do with this. The swaybar has nothing to do with locating in the axle. death wobble is often affected by tracbar, caster, etc.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:12 PM   #3
RodeoRob

I see in your sig, you have SOA listed as coming soon.... have you recentely done that mod??? an incorrect SOA could definitely be a culprit.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2002, 12:21 PM   #4
V8wrangler_idaho

im not sure if this is it but it might be. the same thing happend to me once driving my sister suzuki samaria. I ran it into a bank of snow. the snow got stuck in the inside of the rim so it more or less made the tires out of ballance. I thought that i had messed that thing up really bad. it did the same thing the steering wheel went crazy driving down the road i couldn't hold it strait. all it took to fix it was clean out the wheels. both the outside and inside facing the vehical. SO if you do allot of mudding you might want to check that.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2002, 10:11 PM   #5
hi709

I'm new to the Jeep scene here and it may sound like a really dumb question but what exactailly is the "death wobble"? I hear about it a lot but I haven't really understood what it is, if you could let me know that'd be great!
Unread 04-05-2002, 06:33 AM   #6
Drunc

The "death wobble" is not a pleasent experience...
Jeep: '88 YJ Laredo I6, Kenwood Deck, Amp and 6x9's, 10" pioneer sub, 2.5" Skyjacker Kit with a 1" body and new front shackles, 32" Mud Kings on 8" Desert Crawlers, CJ style replacement mirrors, ditched the trackbars and the endcaps
Drunc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.