Wj knuckle swap and unit bearing bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wj knuckle swap and unit bearing bolts

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
mtnracer190
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wj knuckle swap and unit bearing bolts

Im in the middle of a WJ knuckle swap. For those of you who have done it, which unit bearing mounting bolts did you use? Which are longer TJ,YJ,XJ,WJ? I know the size of the bolt so please I don't want to replace these with 6 point grade 8 bolts. I want to replace them with authentic mopar unit hub bolts.

Thanks,

mtnracer190 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Bong_Holyeo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have been thinking about this exact thing because i am doing a WJ knuckle swap right now also. I included some pictures to illustrate what i am talking about.
The WJ bolts are longer than the YJ ones and they are the ones you want to use because of the .25" spacer you needed to center the U-joint with the ball joints. Now for what i am not sure of... if you examine the factory bolts they are wider in diameter by the head of the bolt on both WJ and YJ. I got a grade 5 bolt replacement bolt and works perfect but is the same diameter as the wider portion at the top of the factory bolts ... so why isnt the diameter of the factory bolt uniform all the way down when the replacement one that is works perfect?? i dont know? In the end i have the original WJ bolts but i think i will go with my grade 5 replacements in the end.
img_0522.jpg   img_0523.jpg  
Bong_Holyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong_Holyeo View Post
I have been thinking about this exact thing because i am doing a WJ knuckle swap right now also. I included some pictures to illustrate what i am talking about.
The WJ bolts are longer than the YJ ones and they are the ones you want to use because of the .25" spacer you needed to center the U-joint with the ball joints. Now for what i am not sure of... if you examine the factory bolts they are wider in diameter by the head of the bolt on both WJ and YJ. I got a grade 5 bolt replacement bolt and works perfect but is the same diameter as the wider portion at the top of the factory bolts ... so why isnt the diameter of the factory bolt uniform all the way down when the replacement one that is works perfect?? i dont know? In the end i have the original WJ bolts but i think i will go with my grade 5 replacements in the end.
Why would u not get grade 8 or better? Chech out apr bolts they're 25% stronger than grade 8 and have some patents with rocketdyne that I use to work for. (rocketdyne made the space shuttle engines and apollo era engines for the moon)
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Bong_Holyeo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

only had grade 5 in the exact bolt with the correct thread length and all. any ideas on the reason why the bolt is wider on the head of the bolt? sorry did not mean to thread jack the op.
Bong_Holyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong_Holyeo View Post
only had grade 5 in the exact bolt with the correct thread length and all. any ideas on the reason why the bolt is wider on the head of the bolt? sorry did not mean to thread jack the op.
Force through metal is like water flowing through a pipe. The wider head will spread out the force and carry more load. Www.mcmaster.com
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I forget what the thread size was, I just know it was metric. I used some hex head grade 12.9 bolts and hardened washers when I did my swap. If you look at the heads, grade 12.9 is what the factory bolts are. I wouldn't substitute and less. You never know when you might hit a pothole and those weak grade 5 bolts decide to shear off.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

TJ and YJ bolts are identical; I carry a few as spares and have swapped them in both.

I would guess the stock bolts have a narrower shank to make assembly easier.

The shear strength of a 3/8 grade 8 bolt is about 10,000 lbs, a grade 5 is about 8,000. Hardly weak. A 12.9 metric is roughly the same as an SAE grade 9, but in any case almost any bolt you can grab off the shelf will be many multiples stronger than needed.

Keep in mind that Warn only provides 5/16 grade 5 bolts to mount their winches.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have read threads where people were proud of using g 8 bolts to mount their seats.
Some people think that too much is just enough.
That said I would not use a lesser grade than the factory determined was required.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
mtnracer190
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you bong Holyeo that was exactly what I was looking for. The factory YJ bolt is just a bit short for the spacer but it looks like the WJ bolt should fit perfectly. I'm going to stick with the factory flange head just like YJ4LIFE says the flange spreads out the force. I would imagine the extra contact surface of the flange head would help keep the bolt from backing off too. While grade 5 might be strong enough to hold up I wouldn't chance it with anything less than at least factory strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post
Force through metal is like water flowing through a pipe. The wider head will spread out the force and carry more load. Www.mcmaster.com
Thanks for all of the replies!
mtnracer190 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.