WJ Conversion with 1 ton tres - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > WJ Conversion with 1 ton tres

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

WJ Conversion with 1 ton tres

I saw a couple WJ's last time I was in the Pull-a-Part. So, now I'm doing my homework on the swap. Has anyone done the conversion with 1 ton tres? Got pics?

From what I've read, I'll want to go with 1.25'' OD DOM to keep my diff from limiting my steering range. I'm guessing these tres would help too?

EX23434L TIE ROD END

I've read a lot of threads about 1 ton steering and WJ conversions, but not much is mentioned about doing both. Thanks guys

Hawk37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
troy.j
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i like the idea of those ends. i wonder how they work real world.

...ask those who have bled of the cost of freedom and honor those who gave that others may have what we take for granted...
troy.j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
RatherBeJeeping

IIRC WJ stuff is 24mm and "1 ton" stuff is 26mm. I went WJ and never gave it another thought
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have WJ knuckles and brakes and a 1 ton TRE kit from parts mike on my YJ. When I installed it I tried re useing my stock tierods , but they were a bear it get on and they would rub the top of the springs. WJ steering arms are a little lower than the stock YJ stuff. Also they are a little farther in, so the stock tie rod had to be adjusted out a lot to make the alignment right. I only drive like that for a few miles just to get back to the house (did the swap at a friends house)
I then ordered the hd steering kit from parts mike that had the 1-1/8 dia, .188 wall tierods and 1 ton tre's. I then bought a reamer and reamed out the knuckles to put the tierods on top of the steering arm. Also reamed out the pitman arm.

Dont forget about the 1/4 inch thick spacer you have to weld to the knuckle.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Cobra, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was assuming I'd need to ream out/sleeve everything to use the 1 ton's. I like the GoFerIt inserts. Did you use the jks spacers? flip the tie rod up? and which ends did the parts mike kit come with?

Does anyone know if it would interfere with a later SOA if I flipped the tire rod up on the wj knuckles?
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

RatherBeJeeping, I've head the solid ZJ tie rod is beefy. Does the WJ have a beefy tie rod & drag link too? I think I read that either the drag or the tie was pretty weak, and I'm not sure if I like having tres with bends in them.
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did not use any inserts with the TRE's, I simply used a tapered reamer from the top and drilled down. Had no problem making the new tapered holes for the new TRE's.
Its been so long ago I cant remember, but I do believe it was JKS that I got the spacers from. I used a spare junk bearing/hub assembly to hold the spacer on and had a friend tig weld them into place.
As for what ends the parts mike kit came with, I have no idea. I know the drag link attaches to the right side TRE.
Now it has been several years since all this was bought, so things may have changed, but I think this is gonna be basicly what I used. The picture is identical to all the parts I am running.

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store...on=show_detail

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
gunselman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I randomly ran across this thread searching for other info. I am not sure on how this would work. You would have to drill out you knuckle to accept the larger GM taper ends. IF you look at JCR offroad they do something similar but it is an inverted T style of steering. So i guess it can be done. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6

A lot of guys use the Teraflex offset Tie rod ends with Jeep taper when doing the WJ conversion. They are more expensive than the ones you posted. But you have to buy a $100 reamer to ream out the holes so that kind of negates the cost benefit. Availability may be better though. Guys have clearence issues with wheels when using the Teraflex offset ends. You have to use at least a 16" wheel to clear them. I imagine this holds true for these also. If not a larger wheel. The only way to really tell is try it. I know 16" moabs will clear with teraflex offset over the knuckle.
gunselman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They make inserts that are a lot cheaper/easier than reaming. You just have to drill out the holes and weld in the inserts in whichever direction you want. I've read with a sua yj I'll have to flip the tie rod and drag link up to clear the springs, but with an soa yj you can't flip the tie rod up because it will be in the way of the springs. (can anyone confirm that?)

I'm sua, so I was planning on going with the cross over steering still with 1/2 ton tre's and dom tubing for the tie rod and drag link if I have to flip it anyway.
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im soa on stock packs (sit flat) with yj knuckles and 1 ton steering. i can tell u flipping the tie rod wont work, springs are dead nuts in the way. however, someone mentioned above the wj arms sit lower than the yj's so maybe it leaves enough room to clear the springs????

just food for thought

this problem is 1 of a few reasons im doin s10 bastards, flipping my tie rod would be nice.
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I think I read on another thread that you can't flip up the tie rod soa, unless you get a euro driver's side wj knuckle and use an inverted t set up. I've been looking into this because my steering pops when I straighten out after a tight turn. I decided its just telling me to upgrade next. Anyone running wj knuckles soa?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.