Wiring woes in a 91 YJ, what a mess. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring woes in a 91 YJ, what a mess.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
rm56
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring woes in a 91 YJ, what a mess.

Hello, I'm installing a radio in our 91 YJ. I found that my purple/white wire is indeed an ACC lead which only came on with the key on. But the pink wire near it is dead instead of constant 12V. I suspect a bad inline fuse or the wire is broken somewhere. I did a quick check with a 12V tester at the fuse box on the lower left where it says radio but got nothing there. At that spot where it reads "Radio" there is nothing there? I'm not real familiar with Jeeps but it looks like some kind of smaller fuse may have been there? The hole is about 1/4 inch square. Was there a fuse there that someone just pulled since this Jeep had no radio for awhile? Again I stuck a 12V tester in that slot but got no juice.
Can someone tell me where I can find a constant 12V connection that I can put a jumper on to power a radio? Thanks.

rm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm at work and don't get off till 6pm. If no one has helped you when I get home ill post up some wiring diagrams from my FSM. If you have a test light though. You can find a key on power easy. Test a wire with key off and key on. Find one and use it. Or just use both constant power. You'll just have to turn your radio off on the faceplate since when you turn the key off the radio will stay on.
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
rm56
1991 YJ Wrangler 

JB, Thanks, I have one of those small 12V testers that is just a small screw driver shaped probe. Under my dash near where a radio once was there is a rectangular plug. I did find a purple/white wire that is hot only when the key is turned on. But the pink wire in that location has no power whether the key is on or not which is strange? According to my manual that pink wire should always be hot. I think that wire got cut further back in the harness? Or a in line fuse went bad killing power in that wire. I poked around near the fuse box on the firewall behind the parking brake pedal but I have not found a constant 12V hot wire yet. My plan is to run a simple jumper wire from a constant hot source. I just don't want to tie into a component or the PCM and cause a short or drain on a criticle component. Where in Texas is Brazoria? I spent two years at Ft. Hood.
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here you go:

http://www.the12volt.com/

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
rm56
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I found a constant 12V lead by the steering column, spliced into it and soldered all connections. My wife is happy to finally have a radio in our YJ. Thanks for the tips.
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
azjeepbud
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fuse box

i have a 89 yj.....the fuse in the corner marked radio, does a fuse go in there, i have a similar issue....no power to radio, fuse in rear of radio checks out fine, any suggestions ?
azjeepbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeepbud View Post
i have a 89 yj.....the fuse in the corner marked radio, does a fuse go in there, i have a similar issue....no power to radio, fuse in rear of radio checks out fine, any suggestions ?
Yes! IF the radio gets it's power through the fuse panel under the dash. The fuse on the back of the radio is here as extra protection.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
azjeepbud
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fuse

what type of fuse goes in there, it is smaller than the rest
azjeepbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeepbud View Post
what type of fuse goes in there, it is smaller than the rest
It is probably a mini blade fuse.

Unread 02-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Look in the under hood power distribution center / fuse block. There is a small fuse I want to say it's labeled ICM. Its over in the corner. Check that mine was blown And gave me no power to the radio.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.