Wiring Gremlin..HELP! and yes I have looked every where - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring Gremlin..HELP! and yes I have looked every where

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!

Unread 04-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring Gremlin..HELP! and yes I have looked every where

Ok weird issue:

First: rebuilt the motor, drove fine before rebuilding it (it had a rod knock) no ele issues other than rough idle and some stumbling. thats how I bought it.

what I checked:
all fuses, swapped relays, can jump the starter to make it turn over (does not start).

ok now the motor is in and it wont crank over:

1. no power to the solenoid
2. dash lights acting weird first the left blinker indicator stays on but but when I use the turn arm it blinks, than it stopped lighting up but works as normal now.
3. the upshift light came on wen the key is off but off when the key is on than that stopped.
4. turn key to start and the brake light comes on than that stopped.
5. seat belt warning light comes on when turning the ignition. than that stopped.
6. no check engine light ever, not even the 3 on off test.
7. now no dash lights what so ever, no illumination, no indicator lights, all other lights work fine, headlights, tail light, turn signals.
8. no fuel pump sound.

so only thing I can think of is the computer.

95 wrangler, 2.5, 5sp, ac

any help would be awesome.

89 Comanche Sport
rockrdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOl you haven't look everywhere.
Check the power and grounds using this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/

If you don't have starter, lights, or ecm power chances are your switched ignition feed on the column is not getting power. Its not the computer. Check the voltage and ground and post what you get.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did see that, but didn't figured it applied, maybe because my verbiage from the search wasn't there, as they are getting a light and it eventually starting, thanks for the link... I printed it out and
I'll follow the tests and see what happens..

All of the contacts on the ignition switch have power when in the "on" position. I'll check the voltages tomorrow night, nothing better than waiting to the last minute to do your taxes
89 Comanche Sport
Unread 04-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Voltages seam a miss, when I check for voltage on the yellow wire the jeep cranks over, no start though, so tonight I swap the ign switch out, go from there.
89 Comanche Sport
Unread 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you run the entire voltage testing? What were the readings? Don't replace anything yet.
Unread 04-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no voltage on the "dome" light, and a few others, the Red had 12v, when I jiggled the switch seamed power came on for the heater fan so it was acting like a loose connection.
and the instructions said if I didn't have power to all the connections it would be the ign. switch so I stopped there. I cant check the voltage on the yellow...
89 Comanche Sport
Unread 04-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
nyyj1989

Chances are since it worked before, it's a wire that wasn't put back on correctly assuming nothing other than a rebuild was done. Check all grounds.
nyyj1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yea, thats what I thought, there is not much for wiring really comparatively, so ok grounds possible, I have a ground wire at the firewall to the top of the head, and one from the battery to the pass motor mount.
Can you think of one I might of missed? I dont see anymore, but maybe im not looking in the right place..one thing I ponderd is someone mentioned that there is a ground wire somewhere by the ebrake. I didnt change
anything there..but I dont see it either, the last owner was kind of a hack, nothing was done on the inside
89 Comanche Sport
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
nyyj1989

I'd just make sure they are both attached to bare metal i.e.not painted.
It sounds dumb but dumb things happen all the time.
nyyj1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the grounds are the islets that attach to the dip stick bolt on the block. If you ran the test the grounds for the ecu ground there too.
Unread 04-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

grounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
the grounds are the islets that attach to the dip stick bolt on the block. If you ran the test the grounds for the ecu ground there too.
Where does that ground come from, that one is not connected...
89 Comanche Sport
Unread 04-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok put a new switch in, now I can measure the voltage at the yellow wire..

My voltages are:

All voltages at the fuses are 12.78 volts but the ACC/LPS fuse has no voltage.

Yellow wire 12.76 volts
Red: 12.75 volts

Checked the computer per the instructions and I have voltages at the the computer pins:
3, 9, 11, and 12 they all have between 12.74 and 12.75 volts.

now looks like im screwed, all seams good minus the ground on te dipstick per Que89YJ.. Where does that ground come from, where in the harness....????
89 Comanche Sport

Last edited by rockrdr; 04-15-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So you don't have any grounds on the bolt for the dipstick or is it you have ground wires hanging? The fuel pump and ecu go there. Im reall confused if you got power on pins 3/9 referenced to 11/12, 11/12 are the grounds going there. I think you read the voltage wrong on the ign lps fuse. If you were reading it right the ecu would not get power on pin 9. Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Does the cel come on and go off? Get under the hood with the key on and verify by connecting and disconnecting the battery that both the fuel pump and the asd relay are operating.
Unread 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
rockrdr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no fuel pump sounds, no relay sounds, no CEL! I have no ground on the dipstick, Im pretty sure there was on there before.. I need to know where it would be comming from, I'm sure I might of missed it
but at least knowing where it is coming from will narrow my search.. I read all the fuses at the same time the IGN was the only one that had no power, like I said the power fluates and if I check again there may or
may not have the power at these fuses.
89 Comanche Sport
Unread 04-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pm sent. Call me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.