Wiring for flat tow setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring for flat tow setup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 11-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring for flat tow setup

I'm wiring my YJ up for flat towing and ran across this. If you look about halfway down on the link you'll see the wiring diagram.

My question is why a third diode is not needed on the marker lights? I'm sure this setup works but all setups I've found, except this, call for four diodes. The write-up says one is not needed but doesn't explain why.

Thanks in advance.

YJ Flat Tow Setup

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
DirtyYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

lol just buy some magnetic trailer lights with the 4 way wire from Harbor freight tools for like 12 bux and use it on whatever you want to, you can just put them on your bumper.
DirtyYj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

He wouldnt put a diode in the marker light circuit because you will want the front marker lights to light up, much the same as a marker light on a trailer. It just lets someone know that there is something between the lights on the rear of the towed rig and the lights on the rear of the towing rig, that they cannot just merge between the two like idiots often try to do.
My YJ was wired for towing when I got it. Someone just took a flat 4 trailer plug (both sides) and spliced it in to the front light circuit. It looks like when they towed the Jeep they just unplugged the flat 4 and that disconnected the front lights from the rest of the circuit. I guess if you are cheap it is an effective method to skip using diodes.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just got a couple of $2 light sockets and added another set of bulbs to the existing tail lights then ran the wires up front through the frame.. Plenty of room in there.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
jpgene
1993 YJ Wrangler 

jbolty

Saw your rear brake light setup for towing. Looks great. Tried several local auto parts stores for bulb holder, saw nothing that would work.. Could you tell me where you found the bulb holder that will work. Thanks, jpgene
jpgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Don't remember exactly. They were just some random socket I found at one of the auto stores.

I suppose you could get a set of the $10 harbor freight tow lights, strip it for parts and use the wire too.

Or here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-BA15D-B..._qi=RTM1062687
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Slick setup, jbolty! I use the magnetic lights myself, though I did have one fall off somewhere in Nebraska (or maybe Wyoming, I forget if I checked them in Laramie) and wound up having to buy another set...
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
CloakedLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I just got a couple of $2 light sockets and added another set of bulbs to the existing tail lights then ran the wires up front through the frame.. Plenty of room in there.

This is what I have in my LJ, a much simpler set up then the diodes and cheeper too. If memory serves me correct those diodes are like $56 a piece.
CloakedLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Maineshootah
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Location: San Tan Valley, Arizona or Maine, depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakedLJ View Post
This is what I have in my LJ, a much simpler set up then the diodes and cheeper too. If memory serves me correct those diodes are like $56 a piece.

So, I am assuming with this setup, and using standard wiring colors,
Yellow and white (Left turn and stop)
Green and white (right turn and stop) to each respective rear brake light assembly for the bulbs, then ran the cable to a standard 4 plug up at the front of the jeep?

I just got back from a 800 mile flat tow with the external Harbor Freight mag mounted lights, and while they "worked" to fulfill the letter of the law, there were not very bright. I REALLY like the idea of containing it all IN the jeep rear brake lights, with just a plug in cable hanging out up front for use with the towing vehicle.

Nice.

My 95 YJ cross country (AZ to ME) frame swap thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/maineshootahs-cross-country-95-yj-build-1487587/
Maineshootah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, standard colors. I ran the wire inside the frame as far as I could then outside with an old piece of air hose as a cover. I tow with more than one vehicle so I got them all set up to industry standard.

Funny thing with the harbor freight tow lights, I have several sets and without exception the bulb sockets are in backward. Take out the bulb, push up the wire to release the flat piece at the bottom of the socket, turn one half turn and pull it back down. The original assembly has the brighter side of the bulb wired to the running lights and the dimmer side to the turn/brake; you could barely see it when the brake or turn was on.

Unread 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Scott1990

Flat towing

I just want to put this out there Be careful doing this with a off road trail rig. I was coming back from Badlands in Attica In and I was pulling my YJ with a 02 GMC crew cab Duramax Diesel and about 65 mph the left front wheel bearing failed and turned the Jeep wheel to the left and sent me in to a left slide and about flipped both of them over. I am so glad no one was beside me cause I would of took them out with me..... Just be careful out there.
Scott1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Maineshootah
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Location: San Tan Valley, Arizona or Maine, depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Yup, standard colors. I ran the wire inside the frame as far as I could then outside with an old piece of air hose as a cover. I tow with more than one vehicle so I got them all set up to industry standard.

Funny thing with the harbor freight tow lights, I have several sets and without exception the bulb sockets are in backward. Take out the bulb, push up the wire to release the flat piece at the bottom of the socket, turn one half turn and pull it back down. The original assembly has the brighter side of the bulb wired to the running lights and the dimmer side to the turn/brake; you could barely see it when the brake or turn was on.

Great info thanks!
I will check out the lights, I have a feeling mine is the same way, they are very dim.

Love the protected mount on the jeep as well.. I might do that as well.

My 95 YJ cross country (AZ to ME) frame swap thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/maineshootahs-cross-country-95-yj-build-1487587/
Maineshootah is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.